1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salter for a 6' box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by greenaces, Sep 7, 2011.

1. greenaces

greenaces Junior Member

what you salter would you recommend for a 6' box...im looking for the biggest size possible (1.5-2.5 yards) but im on a budget.

regards

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of truck do you have? That's a lot of tonnage for that box.

3. greenaces

greenaces Junior Member

350 ford lariat.

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Most Mfg's make them. I see two problems, as was stated, thats a lot of tonage in a small area, most 8' salters are 1.75-2 yd (about 2 ton) without side extentions, & your salter will be 25% (or so) shorter. The second problem would be loading, even with a 8', most loader buckets are the 8' wide or more, so there will be alot of spillage.

5. greenaces

greenaces Junior Member

what would be a good option in your opinion?

6. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I think SaltDogg makes a 6 footer. But I'm not sure

7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

They do I'm living proof. lol.. Don't go for there 1.5 yard model you can fit there 8' 2yard model no problems in a short box. I have them in short box trucks.

8. SullivanSeptic

Dare I ask how u fit an 8ft box in a 6 ft bed? Or how about some pics. I wish I could do it with my short bed. It would be great

9. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I crush it... The top of the salter is 8' and like any v box it slants in but allot more then a steel one. the bottom overhung by 3/4". Hard to explain but if you would see one you would understand. Its the SHPE2000 I think they call the 8' one.

All my other pics were on my Nextel blackberry which died.

IMG_0378.jpg

10. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I run smiths, but they are built about an hour from here, I have had good luck with them, help support the local economy, & because of locatio parts are easily assessable so I would look @ their line, that's just me though.

11. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I run a 2 yard salt dog in my f250 short bed.

Just can't fill it all the way or my truck cries.

12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I'll second that, you can run a saltdogg 2 yard or snowex 8500 in a short box pickup...

How does the bed legnth effect how the truck will carry the weight?

13. SullivanSeptic

Anyone have some pics. I am interested in doing this but I assume the salter would stick way out of the truck

14. erkoehler

Here is one pic that I have, keep in mind that I have the whole salt spreader pulled out of the bed an extra 7-9" in order to clear the Ebling. It fits perfectly in the bed without the ebling as well.

Salter.jpg

15. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

So you spread salt right on top of your blade there? corrosion?

16. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

off topic - who makes the Ebling? do you know their website?

17. Plow man Foster

18. erkoehler

Lift the ebling all the way up and then the salt spreads right under the blade. No more corrosion than if I didn't have a salt spreader.

19. Plow man Foster

Ohhhh okay! I thought you somehow left the blade like 1" off the ground and salted that way.
    Learn something new everyday! Who evers behind the wheels gotta be on their game so they dont drop the blade on the spinner! since you cant use the back blade while salting.... correct?

20. erkoehler

The spinner can be installed on the spreader and you can still use the back blade. You cannot have the rear blade down (in use) while spreading salt.

I have the guys remove the spinner in between accounts so that they are not traveling with it on.