1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter Deflectors....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CSLC, Jan 16, 2008.

1. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

I am not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but we will see. I run with a 2006 Chevy 3500 Dump, 8 1/2' fisher, and a smith spreader. I currently have a 2x10 in the side with a piece of 3/4" PT plywood angled down and screwed into the 2x10. This is not working out becuse the straps that hold the salter keep breaking by rubbing on the edges of the wood/truck box and break. I am looking for input to keep it strapped in but also keep out the salt as much as possible. Any idea's would be extremely helpful.....Thanx Brian:confused:

2. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

By the way it is a Smith Series IV spreader Here is a pic of the salter in a pickup, its the best I can do for now but just imagine it in a 2006 Chevy 3500

image320.jpg

image320.jpg

3. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

Could you use chains with binders instead of the straps? we have 3 V box sanders at work, and they're all chained down.

4. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i use chain with the turn buckle deals to hold a 3 of mine down.
    You might try putting some metal on the side but angle them up to hold everything in or taking canvas on the sides and hoom them down to the pocket stakes.

5. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Or you can goto Home Depot and get some shower pan rubber ( sold by the foot) and attach it to the sides or the bed and let it hang down below the bumper. It will keep all the material from going into the bed AND will never rot out. I use it and love the way it works. It runs for around $1.49 a foot and is about 36" wide.

6. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

If I use chain binders where would you mount them or should i say attach them on the dump body.

7. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

If you guys could get pics of anything that you guys run with that would be helpful too....thanx for the ideas would like more input

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Theres a guy in my area that has a vee box and he got a piece of rubber the size of his bed and put it in there. I'd say it is 14 feet long and maybe 8 feet wide. Big enough so it will catch all the extra salt that spills over the sides. I don't know where he got it at, but I would think that it must work good.

9. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

I am not to worried about the bed so much i am lookinf for something that can go from the top grate of the salter to the side of the truck to act as a slanted roof to allow spilliage to run off the side of the truck rather all inside the truck bed......

10. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Goto Home Depot and get the stuff I said in earlier post.