1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salter controller?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ScnicExcellence, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

I am looking to make a controller for a salter 500 lb tailgate.

I don't remember the make i think it is snow ex. And it can hold 500 pounds weight.

I would like to know how the controller works?

I am trying to design the controller for it.

My guess is i need a rheostat and an on off switch. is there anything else i need and how would i wire it together.

I would imagine i need a battery +/- running to the switch for the salter. then from the switch to the salter and that is about all i can think of i don't know how to connect it to the rheostat, and how big of rheostat do i need?
    how big of wires would i need?
    how can i install a punch pulse to break the salt up a bit? ( do i need this? )
  2. ScnicExcellence

Oh yeah i am picking it up tomorrow and am getting the salter without wires or controller for $300 working condition, he just got a bigger salter and reused the control and wires
  3. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

I think you will be better off if you buy a factory controller.or look on ebay for a use unit They are soild state circuit board, not the old style rheostat type. I now that Snowex salt spreader use a 10 amp fuse in their system.
  4. ScnicExcellence

It is a snowex 1076 or 1075 it is like 6 years old and i am getting it for $300. without wires or controller
  5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i looked into making one a couple years ago and by the time i bought all the stuff i had almost as much in it as a new one would cost. look on ebay they are alway on there. thoses things pull big power so you need hevy duty stuff inside which = $$$
  6. ScnicExcellence

My buddy is an elevator mechanic and said he could probably get me everything i need for free from work. I would really appreciate someone telling me some info on how these controllers work, and how they connect on the snow ex salters? Any info would be great.