1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salter Chain Lube

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FLC2004, Oct 17, 2010.

1. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

What do you guys do to prep the drive chains and/or conveyor chains on your salters from the prior season? We have 2 new tornados, a 1.5 model and a 2.5 model, the 2.5 is brand new about 2 months ago so i'm just looking to coat them with something on this one. The 1.5 we ran alot last year and even though it was brand new in October, after last season theres some surface rust on the conveyor and the paints flaking off but the smaller ones still look new without even any surface rust. I was gonna remove the chains and conveyor after last winter and put them in a bucket of oil with the lid on, but never got the chance. Does this sound like a good idea for after this winter? Is there a product anyone uses that seems to hold up the best as far as lubrication and fights corrosion other than WD-40?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Clean well.......And Use Fluid Film....:drinkup:

3. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

That was my next question that i forgot to write in my thread, what everyone thought of fluid film. Anyone i've asked, has given me mixed reviews.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Love Fluid Film...Years ago...We used to take all our salter chains off and spray them with a product called Extend...Its a Rust inhibitor....:eek:

5. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I just pm'ed the fluid film sponsor and asked to be sent a sample to try. I guess we'll see how it does :drinkup:

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid Film is good stuff......Used it at the previous job, pretty much brushed it on the spreaders end of season and they were fine in the fall......No more rust or corrosion than when they were put away.

7. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

did someone mention fluid film already