1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salten walkways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Feb 4, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Went buy a college yesterday and saw a maintmance guy salting the walkways. He had bulk salt in the back of a pick up. What he and another guy would do, is use a grain scoop, scoop up some salt. Then start walking down the walkway flicking a little salt off the scoop with a gloved hand, as they walked. Looked like It worked very well, or they have a lot of practice. Maybe something to try, if your walkways are too narrow for a spreader.

Geoff

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

What about using a little hand held spreader.

I just salt 2 walks right now about 30 ft each, that is what I use, no problems. I just make sure I wash it out good after plowing for the day.

3. Bill c

Bill c PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ny

Geoff I use a similar method when doing walks,I use a five gallon pail and flick it out as I walk.Using a walkbehind spreader is a pain in the a$$.

4. SDF250

SDF250 Junior Member

i use the round 60# earthway spreader for walks and close the two side chutes
    great for the back and no waste of salt

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I have been using the grain scoop and spackle bucket for years for the Mag or Calcium on walks. Sure beats carring around a fert spreader in the bed. The hand spreaders with the hand crank dont put enough material down and are too slow for my tastes. My galvanized grain scoop is at least 20 years old and is still basically rust free! Have gone through many buckets though.