1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

saltdogg

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wishin4snoww, Dec 31, 2007.

1. wishin4snoww

wishin4snoww Junior Member
    from S.E. MI

what does everyone think of the salt dogg poly v box looking at one just wondering if its any good
    thanks

2. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

Got one last year and a second this year. They are GREAT!! No problems ever. Well I guess until i had the adjustable baffles adjusted to my liking it was tricky but since then awesome. I have ran about 100 tons this season between the two and 105 tons last year through the original with not failures. cannot recommend enough. Angelo's has the best pricing anywhere. I run the two yarders and usually but about 2-2.25 yards in at a time.

3. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

I bought at the begining of the season, ran about 20 tons problem free unless it sits. I put a half ton in for weight when plowing the first storm, never again, froze like a rock and after 20 hours plowing had to get in and hand shovel it out, but that was my fault. Other then that, have not had any problems mechanicly, has always worked good. Like Wharley said....best price at Angelos....$3149 or close too, out the door. Good luck

4. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Are you talking about the poly/electric models? Have a chance at a stainless gas model for around 3700, but Im pretty interested in the electrics. They have an auger vs a conveyor?

5. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Can someone take a picture of the adjustment of the plates I want to do mine I just dont know how much. Do not leave salt in it for longer then 3 hours it will freeze I had to sit in the spreader this storm and bust it up with one of the cross member while one of my employees drove it sucked the vibrator killed my legs I am still shaking 9 hours after.

6. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

They have an auger. The price at angelos is 2950 for a 2 yard electric. I opened my plates just about double what the factory had set, maybe 4" in the front and 3" in the rear. Also I have never had a freezing salt problem. I always use the tarp and get my salt from a covered enclosure so it is pretty dry to begin with.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I sub for a guy with a salt dogg hopper spreader. He just had a 5000$ electrical repair. That left a sour taste in my mouth about them. I'm sure just like with many things, keep it nice, and it'll treat nice.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Instead of shoveling try a garden hose. The water runs straight to the auger chute thawing the frozen salt. you have to empty it immediately after though or it WILL refreeze.

How the he!! did he do that? you can buy a new one for less then that, there's not $5K worth of electric in the entire thing.

9. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

Was this the cause of the spreader? As stated you can get a new one for under 3k and as I install my own stuff it only needs power from the truck..no splicing or anything so I don't know how...

10. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I bought a 1500 series Salt Dogg last Spring and finally got around to installing it 2 weeks into our season. I've run about 6 Ton thru it so far. I am very pleased! No bags stacked up in the truck-no pallets to deal with.
    I do run the vib. plenty as the salt doesn't just shake down from the movement of the truck itself.
    I've left salt in the unit several times now and have only had issues w/ "caking" once due to fluctuations in temp. It was to be expected.
    I've plowed all of my clients w/ a full load on and all I did was run the vib. and it started spitting out salt as needed.
    I'm guessing any problems would be due to salt that is already wet being loaded and then getting a big drop in outside temps.
    If there is a complaint I would say that I wanted to call the dealership which sold me the unit(I had some questions for the install) and found out that since I purchased it, that dealership went out of business. I've gotten info for the next nearest dealership but am uncertain as to their customer service record.
    I'm considering another one for our other truck next year, but in an 8ft model.

11. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

are you guys with the freeze up problems using treated salt? or just plain rock salt?

12. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

plain rock salt

13. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

just regular bulk

14. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I never knew that stuff could freeze up. I heard that it can form a hard layer ontop of the pile, but does it freeze through and through?

15. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

Regular bulk salt, that is stored outside under tarps, not always tarped that well during storms though.

16. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I love my salt dogg. The guy I bought it from, wishes he never sold it. (when from bulk to bag, so got a smaller spreader). As of right now, I got 2 subs with them, and 3 other buddies who have them. Everyone I know that has one, swears by them.

17. axl

axl Senior Member

Has anyone took their baffles off completely. I was wondering if this would create a problem or work better for bulk salt????

18. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Love my Salt Dogg!!!!!! I took my baffels out and have had no problems. I had salt freeze around the baffles and salt clump up in the hopper and stopped the salt flow. It really dumps the salt know!!!!!! Once again I love that spreader and am glad I bought it instead of wasting my money on a Snow Ex that has no S.S. steal and over priced motors on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinkup:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. MnM

MnM Senior Member

I have a ram2500 with a 6.5ft bed. Do they make a salt dogg poly box that would fit in my bed and I cant use the tailgate room more room. That will be off in the winter.

20. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The salt dogg was designed to work in 6' bed or a 8' bed with a 24" tool box/fuel tank. Both the 2 yard and 1.5 yard will fit.