1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saltdogg WB Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HPSInc, Mar 4, 2015.

1. HPSInc

HPSInc Member

Has anybody else wasted their money on one of these? I used mine a grand total of TWO times. Maybe 20 minutes of combined total usage on this unit. It's completely rusted out. The axle is seriously rusted (think artifacts that sunk on titanic), the linkage looks calcified. The drive wheel won't spin because the whole thing has siezed up now. Even rusting at welds on the black powdercoat. No amount of preventative maintenance will save this thing. I barely put it to use. I had it stored in my heated shop and it rotted out sitting up on a shelf. Total junk!

2. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Should have bought a Downeaster

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I find this hard to believe. I've had both a drop spreader and broadcast for 3 years now, still look new. I put 450-650lbs Icemelt between the 2 every time I go out. Are you using straight salt and leaving it in the units? I empty mine before they are put away, but they are only washed spring and fall, and that's just with a hose. I also keep them in a heated shop.

4. HPSInc

HPSInc Member

Don't take my word for it, read the reviews. Only wish i did before purchasing it. This rust issue and the unit seizing is very common. I'm not exaggerating when I said maybe 20 min of total usage. I never left salt in it and my shop is heated 24/7. I could see if this thing had some miles on it and THEN rusted out but not the case. Consider yourself lucky if yours isn't a rust bucket.

Here is one website with some bad reviews, plenty more out there

http://www.casa.com/p/buyers-saltdo...pacity-274360?view=review&sku=HYV-10971&qty=1

5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Interesting, mine are stainless steel, someone said that was an option apparently, was yours a mild steel?

6. HPSInc

HPSInc Member

http://www.amazon.com/SaltDogg-WB100B-100-Pound-Broadcast-Pneumatic/dp/B002WTCF28

Same one as this, purchased it from my local boss dealer. Considering I have purchased 2 new v plows from them amoungst other things I feel like dropping this back off at their doorstep.

I filled out an online complaint form to saltdogg tonight. Since everybody likes to complain to me all winter I thought I would give it a try myself. Not expecting anything from them but I wanted to let them know I think their product is junk.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Junk, don't waste your time. Mild steel one lasted maybe a week for me before the wheel drive gear spinner assembly broke.
    Bought a snowex after and I have had it for over 4-5yrs so now.

8. HPSInc

HPSInc Member

I took the whole thing apart today just to see if it was possible to make it function again. I had to remove the lower axle. The design of this thing is so stupid. The plastic piece at the bottom is so tight around the axle and the spinner that once the metal rusted inside that part it couldn't turn. Took those out and ground the rust off, hogged out the plastic piece a little bit, greased it up and put it back together. A grease fitting or two would definitely help keep this unit in motion. I sprayed the whole thing down with silicone spray. So for now it works again, but it's still a piece of crap.