1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saltdogg Vbox controller error code?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jdilliplane1, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Senior Member

Guys, I know there has been alot of issues with the saltdoggs and the black digital controllers. I went to check my stuff before our supposed storm that never was last week. When powered on, spinner and vibrator work correctly, but auger just shows an e code.

Called buyers because I was exactly one week out of warranty and they said no problem, Jim at ESI where I purchased would help me get a replacement. Of course I got billed for it in the meantime, only to receive the replacement today and still the same problem with the new controller.

I verified auger works by wiring a 12 volt source to it and it works. Anyone have any ideas?

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I would start at the 4 wired connectors plug.I had issues with that from day one when new.I should have posted my fix awhile ago.I cut those POS connectors off and installed male and female AC plugs meant for 220 V.With the great holding hardware inside these units for the 10 gauge wire,I have complete confidence that now I'm getting a full connection on the auger and vibrator circuits.I'm going to change out the spinner plug soon with an Andersen 2 wire job.

3. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Im going to toss my question on here while you have the attention.

My auger and spinner works but the vibrator doesnt come on. The switch on the controller doesnt even light up so im thinking its not getting power back to it. Any ideas? can i pull the controller apart and replace a switch?

4. jdilliplane1

spreader

any pics by chance of your setup? if you dont know how to post them I can give you my email or phone if you can send them that way.

I'm gonna be really pissed if I'm chasing electrical shorts all over the place considering all my stuff was dialectic greased and put away at the end of the season last year. And I only ran like 10 tons through it.

5. tuney443

If you have the black digital box,there's fuses inside it.Check that out first.

6. tuney443

I wouldn't mind sending you a pic but you won't see much as I wrapped the connectors thoroughly in black electric tape.Any electrical supply yard will set you up correctly if you mention what I said.

7. newhere

from Fenton

i have the black digital, i will pull it apart tomorrow. I know i have 3 fuses out side the controller and more in it?

8. tuney443

I remember my original one had 4-5 fuses inside.If you have one of the newer,supposedly better controllers,I have no idea.

9. jdilliplane1

On my end, already pulled it apart and checked the fuses. Wasn't the issue at least in my case

10. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

If it's a replacement controller, and you've got the same problem, then it's not the controller - it's either the harness or the motor. If the motor is running with direct power, than it's likely not the motor.

Did you run the auger from a battery THROUGH the harness? That's the next step.

Several things can happen to a harness - opens and shorts are easy to find with a multimeter

1. Completely disconnect the harness (both ends).
    2. Check continuity between the pins on the motor connectors (you should have none - your meter should be read HI/INF/whatever it does to show no continuity)
    3. Check resistance between the controller and motor end of the harness on each wire - it should be less than .2-.3 Ohms (max) - if it's higher than that you're developing a problem. Bear in mind that V=I*R - so .3 Ohms is robbing 3.6-4.0V. As that goes up, it just gets worse and will fault the controller.

A lot of de-icers being used now can cause massive corrosion in electrical systems. I've seen harnesses with black wires reaching a few feet into the insulation behind the connector. In this case, you've added resistance to your harness and the controller is detecting that.

11. newhere

from Fenton

any idea for my problems with the vibrator not working and the switch not lighting up for it? all fuses are good.

12. jdilliplane1

electrical

Thanks scott, of course I already sent my controllers back to Jim at ESI for him to check them out. Can you tell me how to hook up battery power on the plug side to power the auger without shorting anything out. Electrical isnt really my forte, but I dont really have the cash or time to be without my truck.

13. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

That does sound like a bad switch. The vib switch is 3021616 - your dealer can get them easily.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  14. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Yes, I'm expecting them back here for testing soon.

The RED and GREEN wires are the auger wires - RED is positive, GREEN is negative. If you hook it up backwards (without the controller) , it will just run backwards - no damage done.

RED - AUGER +
    GREEN - AUGER -
    BLACK - VIB -
    GRAY - VIB +
    YELLOW - SPINNER +
    BLUE - SPINNER -
    BROWN - LIGHT +

15. jdilliplane1

spreader

you wouldn't happen to have a diagram of the plug and which wires are orientated where so i dont cross something and break something that isnt broke currently. I just would like to know which blades in the plug correspond to the auger wires. I'm gonna crawl under the truck tomorrow and see if I can find anything that looks frayed to me in the meantime.

16. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

a-brown - light +
    b-red - auger +
    c-green - auger -
    d-black - vib -
    e-gray - vib +
    f-yellow - spinner +
    g-blue - spinner -

looking into the face of the harness - with the controller disconnected - the notches on the top (see the picture)

vib+ vib-
    spin+ light+ auger-
    spin- auger+

12-7-2012 8-56-33 AM.jpg

17. jdilliplane1

Of course it's raining all weekend, gonna have to wait till weather breaks for now.

18. jdilliplane1

Spreader

Figured I would give everyone the heads up on how this played out. Just got into today with being busy with everything lately. I basically hooked up my controller that I received back from Jim at ESI who was great by the way and still got an e code. I traced the harness and didn't find any frayed wires as I basically pulled down the whole harness from the frame. I then got a test light with the piercing end and poked a few times to get power and the error code came off and auger started working correctly.

Anyone have any ideas, i was thinking maybe when I moved the harness that fixed it because the shop I had install it this year had it folded over itself maybe kinking a wire?