1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saltdogg V box auger motor

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JustJeff, Nov 23, 2015.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Put the spreader in on Friday afternoon and put the spinner on. Turned on the power and the spinner's spinning, but auger's not turning. Put a wrench on the end of the auger and it seems to spin pretty easily. Any ideas? Is the auger directly connected to the motor, or is there a linkage? It's still under warranty so I can have them fix it. Just don't know if I want to wait that long. By the way it's a SHPE 1.5 yarder. The "A" code is showing up on the controller. My owner's manual doesn't have a troubleshooting section, but I'm pretty sure an "A" on the auger display means something with the auger.

2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Oddly enough, I had the exact same problem on monday when i hooked mine up. A means there is a disconnect in the auger connection. I unplugged the auger and plugged it back in and everything ran right. mess around with your connections a bit and keep testing it.

3. JustJeff

Will try that. Thanks.

4. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

Could be ur bearing, we change them every year

5. JustJeff

If it was the bearing wouldn't the auger be frozen?

6. Allone

Allone Junior Member

Check your connections. My tip to you an anyone eles reading this post, professional electrical supply houses even home depot, lowes sell "duct seal" they all sell it by the pound with that being said.wrap this puddy around your conections greatly reduces future problems. works great!

7. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

Thats what I thought the first two times, but ive also had to fool around with the wiring before too. Ive learned my lesson and now we change the bearings every year. Not saying that is your problem but for me the cost of a bearing is well worth the frustration at 3am shoveling out a salter, definitely worth the couple $$

8. JustJeff

I'm now pretty sure it's one of the two connectors that you put together when you put the spinner on. I've got a mechanic buddy putting in my air bags tomorrow, so I'll have him check this as well. The inside of the connectors are pretty gunked up with dielectric grease and crap.

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

First thing I did to my Salty Dogg was to change out those terrible POS Chinese connectors with good Anderson USA made ones.Buyers should be ashamed of those components.I remember the dust covers didn't even fit when I was leaving my dealer's yard.

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen the pins in the 4 pin flat connector do this before, one pin not being all the way in the connector did it to one of ours last winter a couple times before it got changed out.

But knowing the lovely quality of Buyer's motors it wouldn't all surprise me that your auger motor has decided to take a vacation from work either.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

12. JustJeff

Thanks guys for all of the responses. It was one of the connectors in the four pin flat wiring harness. I temporarily bypassed it and "hot wired" it back together until I can get a replacement. Damn thing was used about three times all last year (when brand new) and one of the connectors already went bad.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's why plug repair kits are so popular. ;)