1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saltdogg spreader throwing error code A

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CashinH&P, Oct 24, 2014.

1. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Went to hook up my spreader this morning. The spinner and vibrator work fine but the augur motor will not spin. I was able to spin the augur by hand so I know its not locked up. I looked up the error code ("A") and it says there is no electrical connection to the augur motor. Anyone else know what this could be? I would assume that the connector may have moisture in it, it also looks a bit corroded. How should I go about fixing this?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Clean, inspect and clean some more. Run a continuity test on the harness and check under the truck, hood, dash, connector plugs for broken wires. If everything else is clean and showing continuity remove the auger motor cover and make sure the motor is still connected to the auger plug assembly.

You could have pulled it loose when you removed it to clean,protect and dielectric the auger gear motor before storing it for the off season.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Guess you already know this, but this is what my manual says.

Attached Files:

4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

A= Auger motor disconnected

A blinking = Auger motor overload

push harness plugs together while powered , give the spinner a hand turn . she'll get going .
    clean / lube w/ dielectric

5. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Thanks guys going to work on it tomorrow after work, been crazy with rain and all the clean ups to get done haha!

6. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

yep , not a problem

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, don't spin your auger by hand while its under load, don't...

8. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

you most definitely can spin the auger counterclockwise by hand to get it spinning . the condensation on contacts from storage are most likely a bit corroded .
    no problemo

9. Mr.Markus

My point was not whether you've been able to fix it this way. It was to suggest not to tell someone to put their hands on an auger while its under load.

10. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

HE OBVIOUSLY NEEDS to spin it (powered) to get it going . DO YOU HAVE A SALTDOGG???

11. Mr.Markus

I don't own a saltdogg but I guarantee that if I check the manual it will tell me to shut off power before attempting to fix anything to do with the auger, spinner, jamb etc.
    It's common safety sense beside the fact that the op said he can turn it freely. The advice you gave may cost him a limb or more, bad advice.

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

This makes about as much sense as standing with your toes under the plow while adjusting drop speed.

Never ever put your hands in auger that has power or you may never be able to Thumbs Up again.

13. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

AUGER ??? if you read HIS post , were talking about the , spinner its soft plastic . doesnt have razor blades on it :laughing::laughing:

einstein

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  14. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

15/16 box wrench ??? usually called a hand tool .

15. Mr.Markus

we can agree then that you re read his post and realized we're talking about an auger that is some how different than all the augers I've seen in 27 years in this business..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
  16. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

by hand , either or . agreed

17. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Went to hook up my spreader this morning. The spinner and vibrator work fine but the augur motor will not spin.

Need glasses?

18. kimber750

Did as you said, still says auger. And putting a wrench on the auger that has power is not much better than sticking your hand in it.

19. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Well that escalated quickly. The auger is not under load? its empty...been sitting since it was taken out of the truck. Citytow is right, probably just a bad connection. All though I do agree that spinning the auger when there is power to it is not a good idea. All I meant when I said I could spin is was that it was not locked up from sitting.

20. kimber750

I would start with the corroded connection you mentioned, like others said, clean connections and test. If you have already moved the auger you should be off any "dead" spot.