1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SaltDogg spreader putting down to much salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Erik1981, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

We do not do a ton of salting but just picked up a small SaltDogg spreader to help with the few accounts we do do it for. Its a tailgate mount with a 331lbs capacity.
    Its a good little spreader my biggest complaint is that it drops too much salt. We can vary the spread distance from about 3'-30'. The only way to reduce the amount of salt that comes out is to reduce the spreader distance which doesn't help. We would like to be able to keep the spreader distance out to 30' but reduce the amount of salt that it throws.
    Has anyone figured out how to do this?
  2. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

ummmm....drive faster
  3. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

I know that, but these places are smaller lots and you really can't do that safely, especially when it's icy
  4. TheXpress2002

TheXpress2002 2000 Club Member
    from Canton

Install a baffle.
  5. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Set the spreader for full everything, then work the power switch on, off, on, off. I've salted this way for years.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's something I never expected to hear..........a SaltDogg spreading too MUCH salt.
  7. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

Will have to try this, although there is a delay when it's turned on so I'm not sure how well it will work.
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Salt backwards

May choke down the throat with something to restrict flow to spinner.
  9. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

I was thinking about that just unsure what to use. PVC pipe probably has to thick of sidewalls? Any other ideas?
  10. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

What model is it
  11. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

The problem is the lack of auger type control. Therefore, it's gravity fed, and spread through the spinner.

I had a TSG07 and was one of the last units before they implemented the electric chute to close off the salt from hitting the spinner. By the sound of the 331# of salt capacity, it certainly sounds like a lower model. As well, if the higher priced units (better, bigger, etc. etc) don't have the ability to restrict the flow of material, then the lower units wouldn't either.

You'd have to rig up something if anything at all could be done.
  12. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

Toss a couple of wet rags in it...that will slow things down