1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saltdogg SHPE2000

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by billcolandscape, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billcolandscape

billcolandscape Junior Member

Back in November I purchased a Saltdogg SHPE2000 salter to put in my Ford F550mason dump. Since the first storm, I have noticed that the salt is only thrown to the driver side of the truck. There is ABSOLUTLY nothing from the pintle hitch toward the passenger side. I know that most salters are designed to throw more to the driver side, but this is ridiculous. I called the dealer I bought it from and they stated they never heard of such a problem and I called Saltdogg and did not even get a call back. Anyone else have this problem. I have done everything possible including adjusting the stainless plate between spinner and truck, played with different settings, made sure the spinner was going the correct way, and even bought a new chute and spinner. A guy who works for me saw a guy at the gas station who said he was having the same problem. Is anyone else aware or having this problem?

Thanks
    Bill

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes,this is a well documented problem on all the SD hopper spreaders.A member here did a cool mod using aluminum extensions on the 4 ''cups'' of the spinner to throw salt furthur,including the pass. side. if you do a search.Where in NY are you Bill?

3. billcolandscape

billcolandscape Junior Member

I am in southern orange county. Tuxedo Park. I did see that, however, I cant believe that Saltdogg doesn't do anything about it. I mean you spend almost $4K on a salter that doesn't even work right. I actually had one of my guys back into a sign with the shoot so I started playing with the position of the spinner on this broken one. If I move it over so that the salt drops on the back, driverside of the spinner then it will throw to both sides (6" to the left). However, this is crazy to have to do this and I don't want to ruin my new good shoot by making this correction. I think I am going to be getting rid of this and switching to a Fisher Poly. Heard great things. I am not done with Saltdogg on this.

4. tuney443

This and some other glitches.Buyers used to be a top quality company,certainly not anymore.

5. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Tuney443
    I'm not sure "well documented" means what you think it means. I've seen this on plowsite (the thread you are referring to), and I've seen it in one case with a customer with wet material. The SHPE's are some of the simplest and most popular spreaders on the market. That doesn't mean there can't be A problem with A spreader, but there isn't a significant design flaw across the board. We're always changing and improving designs, but SHPE0750/1000/1500/2000 chute is a pretty solid design.

The SaltDogg line has grown considerably and continues to improve, and quality of Buyers salt spreader products is second to none.

Billco
    Most calls are answered while they ring, and every voicemail is returned, so I'm not sure where you left a message. We're not perfect - but nobody's call is ignored.

Your dealer should have called us on this. Call us on Monday (440-974-8888) and we'll see what we can do. We'll want to know what you are spreading.

The spread pattern is 100% dictated by where the salt lands on the spinner - this is determined by the geometry of the spreader and the material being spread. I'm confused as to why you bought a new chute if you thought it was defective?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. tuney443

''WELL DOCUMENTED''---Obviously then you don't follow most of the threads here,whether the thread name is blatantly clear such as ''SALT DOGG SPREADERS DO NOT SPREAD RIGHT'' or one not so clear that usually gets hijacked.Point is and the fact is very real that none of your hopper spreaders spread even remotely correctly OR will spread salt anywhere as far as your literature says it will.We all have to compensate for this when we spread and this shouldn't be if you would have designed a better mousetrap through constant R+D.We are Buyers R+D,partly here on PS doing our redneck corrections and improvements to your products and this shouldn't be.It certainly is NOT ''A spreader'' problem like you suggest.Almost every time I get a load of Magic a guy next to me will ask me ''hey,does your spinner spread heavy to the DS?'' or ''are you getting any salt over to the PS?'' or ''does your spreader throw more than 10'?'' AGAIN---NOT ''A spreader'' glitch!!!!!

You say 'The SaltDogg line has grown considerably and continues to improve''.Simple questions:1.Do you still use aluminum wire instead of copper in the wiring harnesses?
    2.Do you still use those Chinese connectors in the wiring harness to connect the spinner circuit and the combo vibrator/auger circuit---the ones who's internal clamping mechanism is those 2 tinny prongs that ALWAYS come loose instead of going to something like a good Scotch lock connector?

7. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

8. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Let's clear up a few things. I don't spend a tremendous amount of time on plowsite - I'm here to help, and that's the extent of it. All feedback is good feedback, and I've got hundreds of dealers that contact me and my people directly (that represent tens of thousands of customers). I'm not a salesman or a PR person - I'm an engineer, and I'm more interested in identifying and solving problems than smoothing them over.

I'll look into the spread issue - as it sounds like we should look more closely at damp materials (Magic, salt/sand mix, etc.). The spreader can throw 30' with dry bulk salt from Mentor, OH (Morton salt). It stands to reason that damp/heavier material will not go as far.

As far as your specific questions:
    Aluminum? We have never used aluminum. Are you saying we should? That's kind of a new idea for automotive wiring, and is only being looked at for weight reduction (not really an issue in a salt spreader). Why would anyone use aluminum?

All of the connectors used are Delphi/Packard or Deutsch connectors.

9. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Mine spreads all to the passenger side. Pintel hitch over and NONE on the drivers side when the setting is on anything above 5 spinner speed. Im not sure how i can change the way the salt hits the spinner though, it was a nice even flow coming out of the shoot and falls on the 9-3 o'clock position on the spinner if your looking down at it. My motor spins clock wise and the fins on the spinner are going the right way. I think the disc is spinning so fast that the centrifugal motion pulls it all off before it can make it around.

What it needs is a shoot that drops some salt at 12 o'clock and some salt at 6 o'clock.

I dont understand how these other ones can throw to the drivers side? are your motors spinning counter clockwise?

10. tuney443

My 1500 is a 2009 model.Bought new and it most certainly does have stranded aluminum wire and I have seen others with the same thing so why you don't know this is beyond me.Aluminum wire used to find it's way into household wiring for new construction in NY until it was banned.It does not offer anywhere near the same performance as copper,but you being an engineer should know this already so I'm mentioning this now just in case some members here don't know this.

Whatever brand they are,if they're like mine,they are GARBAGE.Changed mine to a locking 220V household connector on the auger/vibrator circuit and a Scotchlock on my spinner.Even the top mechanic at my dealer said as soon as he hears about the user having to do the ''wiggle jiggle'' with the harness,he simply changes over to the Scotchlocks.

11. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

That's not aluminum wire. It's copper w/PVC or TXL/GXL insulation. Nobody uses aluminum wire in automotive applications.

12. tuney443

It's Chinese manufactured copper coated aluminum wire and it's GARBAGE. Numerous,small strands,actually once the insulation is stripped you almost need a magnifying glass to see traces of the copper.Will try and post a pic tomorrow.

13. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

What you might be seeing (if it's silver) is tinned copper wire, which is a premium product.

Let's not confuse potentially legitimate gripes (spread pattern, connectors) with something completely made up. There is no such thing (at least now) as aluminum covered copper. Copper wire is copper wire and "numerous small strands" is good wire. That's what is used in trucks - this isn't a house.

14. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Let me act as the moderator on this....... no need to attack the company rep for coming on the site trying to help. He is going above and beyond so if you beat him up to bad he may not be here when you need him. Be nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.