1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saltdogg shpe2000 auger wont work?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by smrservices, Dec 3, 2011.

1. smrservices

smrservices Junior Member

I have a saltdogg 2yd poly that the auger wont work, I have replaced the auger motor and still nothing?! Was told that it is a wiring problem but vibrator and spinner work fine and I cant find any type of schematic to check wiring. Everything worked fine when we took it off the truck last spring. SOOO i am looking for any and all suggestions that I could try before sinking more money into parts that i don't need!

Thanks!!

2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

did you hook up the motor directly to 12V to make sure it's running?
    open your controller to check for blown fuses on the inside?
    Check all your battery connections and wires, maybe caught the wireing and cut sme wires or so.
    Check with a volt meter if you have power coming to the auger motor?

3. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Could be a controller issue. Im on my second one in 3 years...The first one was the older and supposedly better one with the dials..I would try directly powering the auger motor with test leads..Have you tried turning the auger with a 1 1/4" wrench to break it free? I had to do that this season..

4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

If the auger can't be turned by hand or with a wrench smoothly I'd replace the bearing on the front side. I just replaced mine and it was relatively easy. Parts were $25.

Test motor with a 12v source, it should kick right on. do you have a test light? Are you getting any power?

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ditto. The controller will shut down if there is to much resistance and the front bearing is often neglected. I've seen more then one frozen after setting all summer.

6. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

If the Auger is seezed the motor still should turn back and forth a little trying to break free. A klicking sound should come from it.

7. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Not always.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There's an operative word, I think I would use could but regardless IMHO either he's getting no power at all or the front bearing is locked up tighter then a drum.