1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SaltDogg SHPE2000 2yd Spreader Problems?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Tiller1240, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Tiller1240

Tiller1240 Junior Member

My questions is this: how many people are having problems with the new control boxes for the SaltDogg SHPE2000 2yd salt spreaders?

Here is our story:
    Last year we purchased one of the 2yd spreaders. Only purchased one because it was the first SaltDogg spreader we had purchased, and we wanted to see how well it was going to work versus some of the other salt boxes that we have used. Ran it all season with no problems at all, probably put about 80 tons of salt through it. That was with the old style control box (white box with analog dials). Feeling comfortable that we didn't have any problems last season, we purchased a few more spreaders this year. The new spreaders all have the new style control boxes (black with digital dials).

So far this season, we have already had two of the new control boxes fail. The first box failed in the first ten minutes. It powered on for a few minutes during testing. After a few minutes of being on, the controller failed and wouldn't do anything. We contacted the distributor and in a few days they provided a replacement control box.

The second control box failed during the second event of the season. Apparently some sort of electrical problem occurred that caused the auger to spin backwards. We contacted the distributor again and advised them that we had another control box failure. They told us they would follow up with the manufacture and have them overnight a new control box. That was two weeks ago.

Spoke with the distributor again today, they said that the manufacturer has finally shipped the unit yesterday. However, somewhere the message got lost that the unit was to be overnighted. As a result, we will probably not receive the new unit until sometime next week. So three weeks a salt truck will be out of service.

The kicker of the story is this: the manufacturer was apparently aware that there was a defect in the new style control boxes. The manufacturer told us that the distributors were notified of this at some point (they were not aware of when the notice was sent to the distributors). But instead of notifying the customers that had purchased the new units that their control boxes could inexplicable self destruct (most likely in the middle of providing service to customers), they just kept this little secret to themselves.

So I'm curious to find out if anybody else has had similar problems with the new style control boxes. We have several other vehicles that we are looking at upfitting to bulk salt, and several older units that we are looking at replacing this season or next. While the price for these poly units is pretty reasonable, I can't afford to lose salt trucks in the middle of a snowstorm because of unreliable equipment (especially if it takes three weeks to get replacement units from the manufacturer).

2. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I also have an old style one with the turn dial and numbers on the top. I have owned it for four seasons and have probably put at least 400 tons of salt through it. Don't get me wrong I have replaced about ever motor on it. But with that being said I was about to buy a new one and keep this one to use a little less and more of a back up. But I had a buddy buy a new one off of my recommendation and he uses it very little and has had a controller go bad too. Maybe the Saltdogg rep can give us some input cause I would like to purchase another one if they are good now. Still very happy with my old one. Just not to have the headache of a gas motor and chains breaking is worth it!!!!!

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes,to problems with my controller also.I have a new 4 week old 1500,same controller as yours.My auger went out on it's 4th time out,when I got it to my dealer,I had to tell them there are 5 fuses inside that Chinese box and they knew nothing about Scott Voorman's[Buyer's director of engineering] statement on another thread right here where he says that there's an issue with these controllers and they will be changed out.Mine had 2 blown fuses but the dealer could not answer my question of why they blew.It's working now,but I don't trust it--for one,the spinner on a 1 or 2 speed will all of a sudden speed up to probably a 9 speed and then slow down.The manual they gave me doesn't even correspond with the controller that I actually have.They had better start making some customer satisfaction soon.

4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have the new controller and have not had any problems YET......I was not thrilled when I received the digital version with my purchase......I would have rather had the old style....

5. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Im sorry to say I had issues with my 2009 shpe2000. My digital control box was immobilizing my salt truck with A and U codes on the controller for most of the morning this past monday.

I fixed the problem and purchased an new, old stock, karrier built controller with the analogue dials. I have test ran it and actually got more spinner speed and better speed control from both the auger and spinner.

D, If you need a box, I have a spare if you want to run up north of town in a pinch.

6. HTI

HTI Member

I purchased a shpe 2000 in December this year and after one storm the spinner motor went out. On another note, are these spreaders designed to spread the salt straight backwards and towards the driver side only? I get NO salt to spread toward the passenger side.

7. dmontgomery

I was under the impression that Karrier was making the controllers for the Salt Doggs. Thank you for the offer Maclawnco......I am thinking that I may just buy a Karrier as a back up.... I was thinking about a way to get a little more spread distance. And for the record mine spreads pretty evenly to both sides...

8. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

If Scott ever speaks up again, he can correct me if I am wrong but as I undrestand it, Karrier was making the controllers for all pre 2009 units. In 2009, the almighty dollar reigned supreme and they sourced an alternate supplier for their controllers, which we now can attribute to our wonderful controller issues. The knock off controllers have digital readouts with the power and vibrator switches on alternate sides of the box. The good, Karrier units have the power and vibrator switches on the left side and have numbers on the dials to indicate relative positioning for the knobs. I can get pictures side by side if anyone wants me to.

9. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

I have a shpe 1500 I bought one month ago and love it except the controller crapped out on day one. Simple Fix is to buy a Karrier Controller. They are the company that used to make them for buyers until they went overseas and got a bunch of foreign crap. Check them out at www.Karrierco.com I bough one and it was worth the money! If I buy another saltdogg I will get a karrier controller for it.

10. tuney443

If I would have known this a month ago,I wouldn't have bought my Dogg.This is pure BS.Buyers should take back all these Chinese boxes and replace them with the Omega 2070.I'll bet most of the problem I'm having with a decent spread pattern and reach has to do with not enough juice at the spinner motor.I'm going to put some direct 12V power to the motor as an experiment to see what happens.

11. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

Also, be advised, although the manufacturer is aware of the defects, and notices have been sent to the distributors, the distributors are just as much to blame for not pulling the units from the shelves as the manufacturers are for not insisting they be returned for operational units.

Unfortunately, the replacement units they are sending us are the same piece of crap digital units as the ones that are defective. Lord only knows how long the replacement units will last. If I had my choice, i'd buy the older Karrier controllers. We have yet to have a problem with that unit.

In fact, I just may buy two as backups, and send the bill to Buyers as compensation for the down time my trucks have had and the revenue that has been lost due to their incompetence and willingness to stiff the consumer.

GOOD LUCK AND BUYER BEWARE => to anyone buying a buyers salt spreader.

12. HTI

HTI Member

Great info here guys, thanks. My controller has been fine so far. No brainer to buy a Karrier as a backup to have at the shop after reading these posts. It's amazing that all Buyers has to do is back up there product a little and they can sell the crap out of these. I think the design is great. I have the extended chute and salt does not go to the passenger side at all, not even a foot. Does anyone else have this problem? What I have gathered the problem is that the salt comes down the chute and lands on one part of the spinner and throws it to the driver's side only. The v boxes I have had in the past the salt drops down the middle of the shaft and hits the entire spinner, not on this one.
    Any help appreciated.

13. dmontgomery

OK so if I buy the Karrier controller as a back up, is there a significant value in buying the Karrier wiring as well... or can I get by with just the pigtails

14. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

I bought mine in october and got the old style box. Now I am glad I have the old style. No problems so far spreading not-so-great salt. Probably 10 tons so far.

15. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

D,

I just got the controller and used the existing wiring. I dont know if this will be an issue or not as I just made the switch on Wednesday evening and only have one partial run with the new (old) controller. http://www.cgsi-pm.com/ is a salt dogg dealer and has old stock karrier units on hand. I got mine from him and had it overnighted. Im only recommending him as I was pleased with how he treated me.

16. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

I spoke to a tech at Buyers this past week and supposedly either controller will work since the wiring harness remained the same. Only the physical control box changed. Of course I'd have to verify this for myself since I cant trust anything the company says right now.

17. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

A POST FROM A BUYERS REP UNDER ANOTHER THREAD 'REGARDING CONTROLLERS FOR THE UNDER THE TAILGATE SPREADERS"
    I have already had one controller replaced two weeks ago, and still waiting for another one to come in. Supposedly next week. Personally I would prefer to have the white faced boxes, regardless if the new style works or not. I would feel more comfortable with something that is proven. Because, who knows, whats gonna happen next week or next month.

18. tuney443

Just want to point out that this same controller issue has been here on PS with 70 posts now under''Problems with Buyers under tailgate salter''.I guess the thread got completely hijacked but anyway,all you guys should check it out as Scott Voorman,Buyers Director of Engineering has 2 interesting posts regarding our problems.

19. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

FYI for anyone with this issue. It's New Year's Day at 6:50pm and Scott is shown as a active user. They care, figuring it out, and doing the best they can. This stuff doesn't just get fixed overnight.

20. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

Its not a matter of fixing it overnight. It's a matter of preventing problems before they start. From the discussions I've run across online, to talking with Buyers directly and after talking with 3 different distributors this has been an known problem for some time. This clearly isn't an isolated incident and a company of this magnitude should have some sort of Quality Assurance program to catch these problem before they get out of hand.

Implementing and distributing a new product to the market without some sort of quality testing is a huge risk to take. It's not like these things are failing under a large work load. Our first controller only worked for 10 minutes before it shut down. The other controller ran the auger backwards. What the heck is that?

I expect more from a company which advertises as being the "Leader of the Pack". If money wasn't the issue, then they would have stayed with what worked. The new controllers offer nothing more than the old ones, aside from the additional headaches.