1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saltdogg SHPE 4000

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TLG99, Dec 1, 2013.

1. TLG99

TLG99 Senior Member

Does anyone own and/or have any experience with these spreaders?

I currently own a SHPE 1500, on our F-250 and kinda/sort of like it. The biggest issues continue to be spread pattern. We have tried everything, using advice from this forum, plus good old common sense, and still struggle with adequate coverage on our lots.

It's time to purchase a larger unit for our F-550, something in the 4 yard range and I'm nervous about buying another Saltdogg. I like the reviews of the SnowEx spreaders but not the price. Around here, the SnowEx SP 9500 (4 yd. capacity) are approx. $3-4000 more.

No problem spending the money, but do I have to for essentially the same unit? Any other options for electric v box spreaders in this size?

2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

You can look at Swenson salters. Talk to CET from our candian thread he has a electric stainless steele one for sale. Swenson MDV Electric Auger style

I was looking to buy a Gas version but the next production date was January. I bought a Gas Saltdogg 4.5 Yard. Take delivery in a week or so.

You can try Smith spreaders they are in the USA.

3. TLG99

TLG99 Senior Member

Thanks,

What made you go with the gas over electric? If you don't mind me asking, what are the gas/stainless steel units going for?

I am able to pick up an electric 4yd installed for $9000. Best price I found, other suppliers were $500 - $1000 more.

4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

the 4 yard shpe is great we love ours. They will run clump wet salt pretty well hardly have to run the vibrator. it has a full length auger with inverted v works pretty good for us we have some 2 yard models and they aren't near as good. Go for it I have never had a gas model of this size but these have worked out well for us