1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saltdogg SHPE 1000 Spreader Dimensions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sdowning, Aug 31, 2015.

1. sdowning

sdowning Junior Member

I'm looking at getting a Salt Dogg SHPE 1000. The spec sheet doesn't give very good info. Can anyone tell me the bed length needed to fit the unit? I need the dimension from the front of the hopper to the rear "feet" that hook onto the rear of the pickup bed. I'm trying to figure out if this unit will fit in my truck with a cross body tool box in the bed. Many thanks in advance!

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I can't give you the dimensions, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd just bump it up tight to your toolbox and even if it's a little too long, your tie down straps will keep it in place.

3. sdowning

sdowning Junior Member

Normally I would agree with you, but I'm planning on using a Nissan Titan and it already has a really short box. I'm pretty sure the 750 would fit with no problem, but I want to use super sacks to fill with, so I think I'll need the 1000 to use those.

4. JustJeff

How long is your box? If you're that concerned, couldn't you just take the toolbox out for the Winter months? I wouldn't go with a smaller spreader, you can never have too much plow, or spreader, as long as your truck can handle it. You will grow into it even if it seems too large initially.

5. JustJeff

Not sure if this helps at all, but I've got the 1.5 yard spreader, and on Snowdogg's website it says that my hopper length is 87.3" http://www.saltdogg.com/Products_Level-3.asp?PartNumber=SHPE1500&seriesID=3 I just measured, and from the front of my hopper to the inside of the rear "feet", I've got roughly 77.5". Meaning 77.5" goes inside my truck. Could you possibly lean the front end on top of your toolbox? That would help the salt flow to the rear of the spreader anyway.

20150831_152124 [1600x1200].jpg

6. sdowning

sdowning Junior Member

Nissan box is 66" long, without the tool box...barely a truck really! lol

7. sdowning

sdowning Junior Member

Thanks for the dimension on your 1500. I think the 1000 will be a close fit. Might just need to set it on top of a pallet or something so the front part of the hopper can clear my tool box. Still love to get the dimensions on a 1000 if anybody has one.

8. JustJeff

I wouldn't do that unless the pallet is secured somehow. You'd be better off to leave it on the floor of the bed where the feet can hook and just lift the front end up a little onto your toolbox if necessary. Once you strap it down it's not going anywhere.