1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saltdogg greast points

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JustJeff, Nov 3, 2015.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I've got a one year old Saltdogg (that I'm not happy with, but that's irrelevant), and want to grease it and get it ready to go for this season. I know one grease point is at the bearing at the end of the auger. But I believe there are supposed to be two grease points, and I can't seem to find the second one in the owner's manual. Anybody have any answers? 1 year old Saltdogg SHPE 1500. Thanks.

2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

My SHPE 2000 only has one grease point at the end of the auger at the bearing. What don't you like about it? Mine has been nice for 2 years. IK it spreads heavy to driver side but i adjusted to that and it doesnt bother me though it would be nice to find a way to keep it to spread normal.

3. JustJeff

Part of it might have been how wet our salt was, but it froze up all the time. I'd pour four or five gallons of wiper fluid in it, no help at all. Take the spinner off and put a wrench on the nut at the end of the auger to try and free it up, no help either. I ended up at the car wash three times power washing out the salt.

4. snowplower1

I had 2 experiences such as that and I personally don't think its the spreader because how could the spreader keep it from freezing. it tends to be when the salt is either too wet or you let it sit and it bonds after a few hours. I load at 3 and salt until 7 and dont stop moving until the salt is gone.

Oddly enough i had no issues when we had the coldest february ever here but the year before when it was my first year ever running a vbox or bulk salt i had 2 or 3 times i made a rookie mistake on. If you're worried about it freezing up, run the vibrator every 5-10 minutes while you plow for 30 seconds to a minute. I did it once when the salt barn roof ripped and they were giving me really wet salt and i got away with it in negative temps.

5. JustJeff

My problem is I plow and then salt each site and then move onto the next one. I don't have the option of running it until it's gone. It might not be the salter's fault due to the wetness, but I've never seen the drag chain models have the problem I have had. Hoping for a better experience this year, but it's all up to how wet our salt is.

6. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I don't see how you can possibly blame the salt freezing on the spreader? Salt is going to freeze in anything regardless of the brand. Key is to not let it sit in there long enough to freeze up.

7. JustJeff

As I said earlier, I haven't seen the pintle chin spreaders have the same problem I'm having, and we're spreading the same salt, under the same conditions. It only sits maybe an hour until I plow my first site, then I salt and move onto the next site and same thing, maybe 45 minutes to an hour of plowing and then salting again.

8. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

How cold was it?

An electric spreader like you are talking vs a gas engine drag chain spreader are two completely different animals. The gas and drag chain has a ton more power to break salt free in a situation like that. It's like comparing apples to orangutans. I'm not sure why anyone would choose the electric at all after talking to a local friendly competitor that uses them.

9. snowplower1

I think maybe you should consider adding a second vibrator and running the vibrator while plowing intermittently to keep it from freezing.

10. JustJeff

I'm comparing apples to apples. The drag chain models were Tornado's. Electric just like mine, only pintle chain vs. auger driven.

11. JustJeff

Actually, another long time member here told me almost the opposite. He said that in his Saltdoggs the only way he could get them to spread was to remove the baffles completely (which I may try this year), and not run the vibrator at all, as this compacts the salt. He said he's done this with success.

12. snowplower1

Interesting! I bet the different climates make for much different experiences. I keep my baffles at like 3" in back and 5" in front I think? I don't even remember I just know I researched on here a ton when I bought it and found the perfect mix for baffles. I always use my vibrator but thats just what worked for me

13. JustJeff

I'm not sure, I could definitely be wrong, but I thought our climates were similar. The amount you have your baffles open is definitely more than mine was. I don't know if I can even get mine open 5". I think that's about all there is even if I remove it. I'll have to check. I'm definitely going to open mine up WAY more than they were last season and hope that helps.