1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SaltDogg flow question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by madmaxxxx, Jan 18, 2008.

1. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

We bought a new Salt Dogg 2yd poly hopper salter. I have a question for those that have one. On our metal v-box the salt drops to the bottom and the conveyor chain drags it out, on the salt dogg I see inverted cones of salt missing over the baffles and the rest of the salt is still up to the fill height. I know the vibrator will help this flow out to the auger. Is there something I could put on the walls of the poly hopper that would help the salt flow towards the bottom? I was wondering about pledge or some type of wax. I sure thought that the poly hopper would make the salt drop to the bottom fairly easily. BTW, this salt is bone dry and pretty uniform in size. I am concerned that when the tarp is over it, I would mistake the hopper as empty when it has these salt bridges built up and not letting salt out.

2. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

From my experience, I just have to run the vib all the time I want to spread. Both of my 2yder's do this too. I have tried turtle waxing them, but just doesn't hold up and didn't really help.
    As for the tarp.
    I have learned to listen to the vib to determine if I am getting empty or not. When mine are getting empty, that vib really gets noisy and I hear the top screen bouncing around. Just think with the vib on, your also getting a free back massage!!!:D

3. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

I also agree. Run the vib the whole time. I could say the exact same thing as drottlawn to a t.

4. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ditto...you'll know when she's empty but the sound, and my vibrator gets used all the time, straight salt i try not to use it if i dont have to cuz it flows so well when dry, but I've pretty much run it with each load until empty...no biggie.