1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SaltDogg Electric Drive Hopper Spreader - It spins intermittently?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by joe979xx, Dec 19, 2009.

1. joe979xx

joe979xx Junior Member
    from NYC

We have a SaltDogg Electric Drive Hopper Spreader on the back of a pick-up truck. It is fully loaded with salt.

The problem is that the spinner where the salt drops into spins intermittenly.

Does anyone have an idea how I can fix it?

Let me know if you need any more info?

Thanks!
    Joe

Here is a picture of the spreader:
    http://www.saltdogg.com/Salt_Spreader/ElectricHopperSpreaders/

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you talking about the auger or the spinner? Not sure because you say where the salt drops into.

3. joe979xx

joe979xx Junior Member
    from NYC

It the circular mechanism that spins and flings out the salt onto the road. I guess it's the spinner???

4. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Could be your controller. I bought a brand new one and the spinner control didnt work.

Check the plug that plugs into the spinner. The actuall plugs were moving back when you plugged it in-two .75 electrical ends at napa.

5. tuney443

If the spinner spins intermittenly,it definitely sounds like a poor contact.Like Dstosh said,check your plugs.

6. joe979xx

joe979xx Junior Member
    from NYC

I tried that already,but will try again.

Thanks!
    Joe

7. joe979xx

joe979xx Junior Member
    from NYC

The plug is fine. But the shaft seems a little too tight.

What it's doing is -- It will spin for about 45 seconds than usually stop....

8. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Best Chance Of Qualified Help

Your Problem Is Rather Hard To Diagnose Without Actually Knowing That particular Machine.But I Think I Got Some OK Advise.Go To Your Local Family Run Starter And Alternator Shop. It Kinda Sounds like The Drive Motor is Bad Or Binding Up and Somewhere in The Circuit They Have A Circuit Breaker That Pops And Maybe Resets. Its Is a Hands On Fix And Any Armature Guy Would Be your Best Technician Of Choice. Hope This Helpsussmileyflag

9. tuney443

What do you mean by the shaft seems a little too tight?What model do you have? What code if any are coming up on your controller?

10. joe979xx

joe979xx Junior Member
    from NYC

11. joe979xx

joe979xx Junior Member
    from NYC

It actually does have a small lcd. It says jammed and there is a clicking sound. It might alos say something else but I can't make it out . . .

Thanks,
    Joe

12. joe979xx

joe979xx Junior Member
    from NYC

We tried a different controller and it worked. So now I just need to figure out what's wrong with the old controller...

We tested the fuses and they are good. Does anybody have any idea what else it could be in the controller. Maybe I should look into getting a new board???

The unit is three years old.

Thanks!

Joe

13. joe979xx

joe979xx Junior Member
    from NYC

Should I buy new Controller or can I fix it?

Should I just buy a new speed controller box or can I fix the old one?

Thanks,
    Joe

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  14. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Here is the problem I ran into last night and goshdangit am I p.o'd.

2am, 2yds of salt, 5in of snow, 11 accounts buried... me trying to figure out why my auger will not rotate. I have a salt dogg elec hopper that I used last winter with great success. Now I want to burn it...lol..

Auger overlad and jam light come on if turned on over #2 on the on the dial. Wont even turn when empty. (To get empty required shoveling the salt out by hand!)

Called dealer and he said that I am out of warranty by 3weeks and I must have not maintained it...

Any suggestions? I have one day to make it work!

15. joe979xx

joe979xx Junior Member
    from NYC

Sorry I can't help you, but I would suggest you post your problem in a thread of it's own so more people will see it.

Good luck!

16. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Get a new controller-theres a guy selling em on here very reasonably. Columbialand is his name.

17. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

First off, is the auger trough clear ? No ice in there ?
    If the trough is clear, will the auger turn freely in both directions with a wrench ?
    If the auger will not turn freely in both directions, the auger motor,transmission is shot. The lights comes on because the auger wont spin.
    If the auger turns freely check wiring connections, and ground. If that checks out I would suspect the controller is shot.

18. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Trough is clear. Leaving now to go to shop to get big wrench to try to manually turn auger.

Wonder if bearing at other end is locked up?

19. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

There is a chance of that. If you remove the motor/transmission, the auger should spin freely.

20. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Well, it's the controller. I could spin the shaft easily with a wrench. Disconnected the power and ran straight 12v from an external source and the auger fly like it always did. Power though the controller and it would not turn.

Buyers is out of controller for at least a week.

Lot's of good that does when it's going to snow tomorrow...