1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SaltDogg 2000 bigger salt openings

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by PerfiCut Inc., Dec 23, 2010.

1. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

I've noticed (the few times we've been able to get this thing working) that the openings to the auger might be better served if they were larger. We have slid the plates to their fullest and still find that we get this hour glass effect in the salt. If the salt has any moisture, it tends to stick to itself instead of falling downward towards the openings. For this reason we are finding that we often have to run the vibrator to ensure a constant feed to the auger.

I think these units would run uninterupted if the openings to the auger were much larger. Perhaps even one single opening along the entire bottom.

I was going to try and make another opening 8"-12" long in center between the two existing openings. If this doesnt create an operational malfunction I may just extend the opening so that there IS one large opening to the auger.

I figure what do i have to lose. The darn thing doesnt work half the time anyway. If this helps, the next thing is to build extensions on the side of the box. I figure 12 inches higher should get us another ton of salt capacity. If that works, we'll probably construct our own controller since the ones they provide are not very reliable.

2. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Larger opening may allow for it to jam up easier. If you plow with this truck, or even drive it from job to job on ruff roads, your salt will settle and lock the auger up if too much of the auger has direct weight on it. I use my vibrator when ever my salter is running. Thats what its there for.

3. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

I guess I have a miss conception of the vibrator. I feel it should be used as needed to help the flow, but we often have to run it continuously, and I don't want to burn it up.

4. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

The manual said don't run the vibrator for longer then 30 min and have a 15 min break before running it again. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be out of salt before 30 minute of continuous running was up.

5. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

I'll have to check that again. I thought it said 30 seconds. But i could be wrong.

6. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Run my vibs all the time and have no problems at all. They are on their fifth season and never once had a vib problem. I would not open the box any more, asking for auger jams!

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

If it's rocken up your probably using wet junk salt. We've used our several times with mixed material and a little wet. Ran the vibrator for a few minutes at a time - no issues. The unit throws salt far, plenty of material on low auger speed. This unit is no headaches and I wish we would have done this sooner.

The auger is not designed to take the weight of the entire load of salt. Cut a bigger hole and your asking for problems. Vibrator can run 30 MINUTES with a 15 minutes rest. If your salting for 20 minutes straight you should be running a 10 yard city dump not a 2yard unit.