1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saltdog

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Plowman52, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I am looking to buy my first v salt spreader and there is a local guy selling a 2 year old poly.
    It's 6 foot and holds 1.5 yards of salt comes with extra spinner
    he said it works great but one of the wires where dragging and needs replaced.

He wants 1400.00 for it do you guys think that a good price or is it too much also is saltdog relible

Also it's elictric

2. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

i dont quite understand what you mean by wire dragging? do you mean the wire that runs up to the cab to control the sander? if so those are generally easy to replace if you have some wiring skills. correct me if im wrong though

3. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I have not seen it yet I'm going tomarow but I guess one of the wires is messed up going to controled is it still a good deal for 1400.00?

4. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

you can get a brand new salt dogg 2 yard spreader for around 3300 shipped. Check out the one he is trying to sell and see if its worth it or for another 2k should you just get a new one...:cool:

5. Stripe This

Stripe This Member
    from NJ

Ohio,,,,is that a price from Angelo's?

6. 04chevy2500

bring your camera with you and snap some pix for us to see what the condition is

7. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

Alright also is there anything I should look for when I go look at it?

8. 04chevy2500

look for the usual wear and tear or if its been abused. cracks in the poly spreaders can be a problem. see if everything looks like it has been regularly taken care of and greased

9. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I have never owned one just walk behind spreaders so what should I look for as greas wise

10. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I've been running SaltDoggs for three and a half seasons, but there's only one zerk each on the two units here.

Just my .02¢

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  11. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

If he wants 1400, offer him 1200 or 1000, i dont have a salt dogg but its got to be worth that:confused:

12. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

Well I looked at it it is in good contion it doesn't have the harness he threw it away so we agreed on 1000.00 for it so I will have about 1250 all into it after I get it home and mount I will take some pics lol:). My first one lol

13. 04chevy2500

great! sounds like you got a good deal. cant wait to see the pix. what are you going to put it in?

14. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Same here, just waiting for the pics!

15. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I have two trucks but the spreader is going in my 97 2500 chevy that has a 8 foot plow on it

16. 04chevy2500

great cant wait to see the pics!

17. 1daniel1

1daniel1 Junior Member

saltdogg reply

That is a fair price for the 1.5 poly although I would check to make sure it can still handle full loads. Sometimes the poly's can warp a bit and the inner dimensions can be altered affecting the motion of the auger. Stainless is still the way to go if you are looking to own for more than 4-5 years. The 12 volt electric motor may need replacement also. They typically last two hard winters. I just purchased a new 1.5 stainless Saltdogg and realized there was a recall on it. Not enough power is being transferd by the motor to maintain the motion of the auger under full load when the temp is below 20. I'm running half-loads right now till the part comes in. It's tough though with 24 urban acres to clear every time we have a half-inch or more. Saltdoggs are decent value if budgets are tight, but I'm slowly beginning to see how they cut corners the more and more I purchase from them. Their marketing is the best though and that's why they sell.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  18. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I will have to look at that and also I has the hole front assambly with the spinner brand new still in the box extra because he took it off one night and went out forgot about it and was too far away and stoped in and bought another the price said 550.00 on the box

19. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

yes sir sure is

20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know why he threw it away,he's probably not telling you the whole story,but anyway CPW has the harness for $137,that's the cheapest around when I was just looking to replace mine,but luckily I was able to splice in all new wires.