1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by uvilla, Feb 20, 2014.

1. uvilla

uvilla Junior Member
    from 25442

I need help deciding to go to liquid brine or stay with my v box salt spreader.....I do a lot of pretreating.......what do you guys do......rock salt or liquid brine

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We did both. All liquid now, our supplier shut everyone off a couple weeks ago with rock salt. I guess he's selling a salt/cinder mix...no thanks, that just makes a nice mess we have to clean up in spring, this liquid works very well. If you do a lot of pre treating its going to be cheaper I think to use liquids. We dont pre treat a lot but the last few storms we've had ended then kicked back up again a couple hours later and the results of the liquid being there were great! Perfect example, we do a chain of convenience stores with very heavy traffic. We applied liquid when the snow let up and about 2-3 hours later it fired back up and dumped about 8 more inches. With all the traffic these places see I thought for sure we'd be dealing with hard pack everywhere but we were scrapping down to pavement after every pass. You need to educate yourself, there are a few things to know. Our solution usually burns off 1/2-3/4 of an inch without a problem but any more than that we usually plow, it will still work but takes too long. Plan on using the search option above, tons of info.

3. Brian Young

As far tank set ups, you can go simple like one of ours, its a simple 335 gallon tote tank with a 2" shut off valve at the tank, then a 2" hose to a electric shut off valve to a 90 degree elbow then a 2" hose to a 1 1/2" spreader bar with several holes drill at the bottom. This is about as basic as you can get but works very, very well. We never loose head pressure and it flows out with a lot of volume. Our other tank is a 300 gallon all electric unit. It has more control as far as amount you spread but the only down side is if you want to spray any wider than say 110" spreader bar the motor won't have enough umph to do so and get good results. We're putting together a gas powered unit now so we can spread a 3 boom spreader bar for width. Its expensive with all the valves and new wet seal motor/pump we want so its going to be a summer project.

4. uvilla

uvilla Junior Member
    from 25442

sprayers

Whats the best liquid brine spreader.....or should I just make one.....

5. Brian Young

There are many different places that sell them, some are way over priced for what they are. You could have several thousand wrapped up in one but depends on what you want out of it and what products you put into it. A simple gravity system (with a 275/300 gallon tote tank), you will have roughly 6-900.00 into it. The tank and electric valve are the two most expensive things

6. AG09

AG09 Senior Member

Can you post some pictures of your setup? Also are you making your own mixture or are you buying it?