1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GLHVAC, Sep 27, 2010.

1. GLHVAC

GLHVAC Junior Member

I am bidding on a few veterinary pet clinics and they are looking for pet safe salt for there parking lots and side walks. I'm looking for any info on what anybody has used before. Thanks

2. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Don't bother, but worry about it. If that makes any sense?!

Don't bring it up to them...unless you can sell them a product for morepayup, and then put it in your terms in conditions. Make them initial each section so that it shows they read the entire contract. Sign at the bottom. Then you are not liable and you can get out of civil on a 3rd party plea....Clinic/property owner or manager is responsible.

NOW, I am not an animal expert but my GF works at a vet and said rock salt is ok if they were to just lick the ground or a salt grain or two. Now if they ate a 50lb bag thats different. Anyways, if the animal is unsupervised long enough to get hurt/die by eating salt, then that is owner neglect.

Any questions?
    (just remember...DISCLAIMER, Disclaimer, disclaimer....and then DISCLAIMER MORE!)

3. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

What are you looking for--safety if consumed, or easy on the paws?

I did a pet supply store a few years back that requested CC pellets near the doors, because they didn't cut the animal's paws. If apparently mattered little what might happen if they ate it.

4. leon

leon Senior Member

woof meow etc.

It all depends on whether they want a specific brand pet safe ice melter which will not
    hurt a dogs paws especially if the are torn from wear which is obviously what they wish
    to have used in this facility as the dogs are ambulatory unless they are carried in by
    the pet owner or in a transporting crate.

The "pet safe" brand deicier comes in shaker bottles and IS expensive where sand could
    be used much more effectively with water softener salt by the bag.

For every 80 pound bag of mason sand you would want 8 pounds of softener salt.
    to make a 90 pound batch- rounded off.

The salt burns the dogs pads and if they are torn even the least little bit they become avenues
    for infection as well.

A push spreader will work well for sand but you need to be sure not overload spreader and the
    sand is dry and flows well, and this can be done with windshield washer fluid prior to dumping
    sand in the spreader by pouring some in the bag before dumping it or hand throwing the sand.

The pet safe deicer is available in supermarkets or the pet products super stores: You could order
    it by the case from a super market and charge the clinic by the case and leave a portion there for
    them to use, but the stuff gets messy and does not cover well and will melt drop like a stone and
    leave ice and snow.

Sand is more labor intensive but the heavy rubber cut ribbon floormats will keep a lot of sand outside;
    and stone dust is out of the question in the off season plus the issue of silica exposure and stone dust
    makes it a liability.

Sand may be "Butts Ugly" as the "car talk guys" would say but it will be pet friendly and it may be harder
    to sweep up but that is what "Billy Goat" vacuums are for.:)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Check out Morton ...They have some so called Eco and Pet safe de-icers..:salute:

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Great Advice!!!!:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:...Should have kept this to yourself.....

7. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Thank you, I encourage good competition....It washes out a lot of those lowballers. Just leveling the playing field by letting him know. I hate when ppl talk about pressing legal issues....I just like to help keep joe schmoe from losing his home. Although most people in this business should leave...On account that, many of them, are only doing this because they are out of their "real jobs". This is a real job and it is my career!

My motto is kinda, "anyone can push a mower or ride a tractor. Not everyone can use a deadly weapon safely. I do it every time I work. Don't play with plow trucks and heavy machinery."

8. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

If they have an issue, they should just sue the builder for not equipping the walks with hydronic heat.

:laughing:

9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

At the SIMA show a couple years ago they had a product designed by a vet. It was actually a mineral supplement that was more of a traction agent than ice melting product, but did have some melting properties. They said it was developed because this vet had a bunch of animals die (clients) due to exposure to contaminates in salt products. I had the guys card for the longest time, just looked its gone. I believe it was a Canadian made product.

10. mypolaris1

mypolaris1 Member

Try a product called Freeze Guard. It'a a mag chloride. Expensive but haven't had any problems with my account.