1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt with a truck cap?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kbsnow, Nov 23, 2009.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Salt with a truck cap installed?

I recently picked up a tailgate salter, and made a frame so it slides into my trailer hitch. The dilema is the truck stays outside, and it has a cap on it. With the spreader mounted, I cannot access the bed as the tailgate wont open nor will the window from the cap. I need to store salt...and NOT have it stolen. I was thinking of removing one of the side windows from the cap and make a door that locks out of plywood...any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

If your going to be lifting the bags of salt out of the back window, make sure you know a good quack-a-practor cause you back is gonna be real mad at you.

Why not just take off the spreader when your not plowing and leave the salt in the back. Then take the tailgate off and put the spreader back on when your going to use it. Either way....it's gonna be a pain in the butt and I wouldn't do it.
  3. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

if you want the cap why don't you shorten the cap cut it and move the door closer to the cab or get one from a short box now you could open door but you would have to make some thing for under the cap gate
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Take the cap off and get a good tarp.
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

There is no easy way to get your salt from this scenario. Covered salt is good but if you have to reinvent the wheel to get to it is not worth it to me. Having a torn L5 disc from hummping 80 pounder's last year believe me its no fun! The only thing I can suggest is buying a swing-a-way mount for your spreader.
  6. Deco

Deco Senior Member

i work in an undesirable area myself. i'd lose the cap and forget about it . just give the skid a "wrap" with plastic banding and they leave the salt alone. after all you are making over 50% profit on ea. bag , arent you ?
  7. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

I think I am gonna just get rid of the cap. It is aluminum, so the money I get at the scrap yd will pay for some salt...
  8. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

I made up my mind...I'm gonna scrap the cap...its aluminum, and I'll buy some salt with the money from scrap yd. I can have them load the salt in the back with the forklift that way too.
  9. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

That truck has seen better days.....
  10. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

of sideswiping something or someone!
  11. Deco

Deco Senior Member

now your cooking with fire:yow!:
  12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Might as well scrap the truck too. Thats what you call a MTO special around here.

Or you could use some of that metal from the cap to fill the rust holes on your truck-they are both the same color.

Was going to say salting with a truck cap might be like screwing with your pants on-it just doesnt feel or look quite right.

I think you made the right choice-congrats.

BTW-get that forklift guy to load you from the passenger side-you dont want to risk damaging the good side of that heap.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  13. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Thanks for the advice...I'm still laughing about the truck comments. The truck is actually in excellent shape, except for this side. PLowing a LONG driveway with steep sides the ice got me and I went into the trees just off the drive. I am actually thinking of fixing the side. I replaced the exhaust system and it is good as new.