1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt weighs?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mowing king, Feb 27, 2001.

1. mowing king

mowing king Junior Member

About how much does a yard of pure salt weigh?
  2. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

The People where I buy salt told me a yard of pure salt weighs about a ton or a little more, I don't knoe for sure though because they dont weight the truck after they load it. It sags my 3/4 ton pu like it's about a ton though. there was a thread on here not too long ago with the unit weight for salt in it.
  3. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

That's about right. One yard of salt is around one ton.
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I thinkt hat the Salt Institute says salt weighs 2130 (or close to that number) per ton.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If it weighs 2130 then that is not per ton cause a ton is 2000lbs. I think he meant per yard.
  6. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

You guys are right about 2130 per yard.It is close enough to being equal and we charge the same price per ton or yard.

Some customers think they are getting a bargain,because they think that a yard of salt weighs a lot more then a ton.
    Even some of my competition don't know what salt weighs.

Gotta love it.
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well I sell salt and mix by the yard. Although I count a yard in number of skid steer buckets used so I am not super accurate.
  8. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

A yard of pure salt wieghs 1960 lbs.It is less than a ton
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My pocket reference book lists fine salt as being 2025lbs per cubic yard,and course salt as 1350 lbs per cu. yd.either way salt is much lighter than wet course sand at 3510 lbs per cu. yd.I can feel the difference when my hopper is heaped with sand,A yd of salt wont squat my truck,a yd of sand sure does.
  10. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Yes Mr.Parker,

But we don't ever get the pure thing,by the time it gets to us everybody and their mother has touched it.:D

And if you try and call Mr. Parker his real number is 845-485-4200.

Do ya see what I have to do for this guy.I feel like his babysitter. The heck with him,I should leave the old number and you guys can call me.:D
  11. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

It weighs enough

Enough to know that you do not overload your truck and that, you watch the guy as he loads it so he does not break anything, especially when they drop it from 20ft....
  12. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Mike you are always so thoughtful,what a hump!