1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt VS Sand

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Dec 12, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well tommorrow should help to put an end to the salt vs sand debate.

I guess a little freezing rain is in store for us, northern Maine.

My plan, is to put a little salt on the lots to prevent the freezing rain from forming too bad.

Stay tune for results tommorrow night, if we service is needed.

Geoff

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

This is when I use salt. Light icing and light snowfalls. When the temps are just below or at freezing it should work well. Only negative I have seen is that if it is not definately freezing I have had some wash away if there is heavy rain. My mistake for applying to early.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2001
  3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

But don't your customers DEMAND sand? If they want it when it snows I can't believe they would settle for salt to deal with freezing rain.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Yup some do. Others leave it up to me. No customer or account is the same. I try to provide personalized service. Sand is cheap for me so why not use it. Apply it often and then be able to make money on the cleanup. When I make money on each run I will go as often as they want.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I just read an article in Open Roads magazine regarding Oregon using an anti icing program vs grit. They reduced accidents over 80% and it wound up costing about 50% of grit.
    Still think sand is cheaper. In the long run it is not, and you are doing your customers a diservice by not getting with the program.
    Sooner or later they will get clued in by someone else, and no more Mexican Vacations.
    Dino

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

But I do not pay for the sand. Merely pass the cost on. I offer salt (as I have said in many previous posts) I explain both concepts. I prefer using mix in most cases because I can profit. Maybe sometime they will see the benefits of salt. Then they will decide if the cost justilfies it. If so they will tell me to use salt. I will. No argument from me.

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Freezing rain started around 2 am, at 3:30 am, everyone was in, the salt trucks were on the road, and side walk crews working the side walks.

After one salt application, no ice accumulated. The temperature began to rise around 6 am, and were left with just plain rain. While our properties were ice free, our competition was out with the mix, trying to add traction to the ice.

Geoff