1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt vs. Liquid

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lcmains1, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Lcmains1

Lcmains1 Member

I am fairly new to the commercial snow removal/ice control business. This year I Picked up 2 large retail parking lots. I am wondering what is best/most economical for getting the lots down to the asphalt once the snow is cleared. I am currently using a rock salt/mag chloride mix. Would I be better off to use a liquid mag chloride? I can get the liquid for $1.05 gal, I paying $260 per ton of the granular. Is there much of a difference?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

2. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

being in des moines Im not sure you are going to need the mag chloride to often. straight rock salt is good down 5 or 7 degrees. As far as the option of liquid vs solid. They both have their place. Generally liquid is cheaper if you make it your self. I like liquid for the quick clean off after a snow and the lots are all plowed clean. I like the rock salt when there is ice or there is and inch or less of snow. I am only spraying salt brine. I dont have calcium or anything mixed with it. Everyone has their own opinion . I would say you cant go wrong with pre-wetting rock salt.

3. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

As always, regional prices may vary, but 260 a ton seems STEEP

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, and I don't see the need to pay the additional money for the mag chloride 90% of the time. There's obviously rare ocassions where it's worth the money, but not the typical snow event.........