1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Vehicle Workload

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SnoJob67, Sep 2, 2002.

1. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have a 6 yard dump with undertailgate spreader. Last year, it serviced about 28 acres of pavement during salting events.

I was considering getting a v box for my F250 and using it for the smaller lots that comprised the 28 acres we services last season and using the big truck for the big lots for the most part.

If that truck serviced 8-10 large lots (open, typical large retail sites from 5-10 acres each) and a couple of 2 acre or so accounts that totaled about 50 acres, would that be stretching the limits of the truck for salting?

All lots are within a 7 mile radius with some grouped closer together.

Assume each large lot would have a loader onsite and a few strategic sites would have salt piles to refill as needed along the route to help with efficiency.

(50 acres at 500#/acre=12.5 tons or ~2loads) Medium/Heavy
    (50 acres at 1000#/acre=25 tons or ~4 loads)Xtra heavy app.

I used the above figures to demonstrate possible salt usage on the route.

Do you have the general feeling that the 6 yard dump and a 3/4 ton heavy duty with 1.8 yard V Box would be enough to service those accounts (60+acres total) in a timely manner? I'm trying to avoid buying another big truck if it isn't necessary.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

How are you going to load salt into the v-box at strategically placed piles? Hand shoveling?

I think the v-box would be a big help in time and servicing smaller lots. I would think if all accounts are that close then have one pile and use the loader there to load both trucks as needed. Set up route so that there is minimal overlap. Efficiency is even more important in spreading then plowing IMO.

3. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. Salt would be loaded with loaders as you said. We could eliminate some overlap by doing small lots that are near to the large lots the big truck is already assigned to salt.

Most of the large lots are on one side of town with other small lots closeby.

On the other side of town is two large (7 and 9 acres each) lots a few miles apart and several smaller one acre lots spread here and there that we service.

I also realized (after your comment about efficiency) that it might be better for each truck to stay on their own "side of town." It would be better to use the V box and "waste" 2, 10 minute loading sessions than having the big truck drive across town 15 minutes and 15 minutes back in bad weather. If I do it that way, the V box will really get a workout with all the small accounts and the two large on that side of town!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2002
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I think your F-250 will get a workout too. My F-350 dually dump was overloaded with a 1.8 yard V box installed and loaded. Have you done the numbers for weight?