1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt used for snow removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crazyboy, Jan 5, 2014.

Charge for Salt if used as a snow removal method?

1. Yes charge for plowing & Salt

14 vote(s)
  2. Charge for just plowing.

0 vote(s)
  1. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Good morning, if using salt as a method for snow removal during a storm are you charging for a salt application or only for the standard plowing for that depth storm since you are using it as a method to remove the snow?
  2. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Absolutely you should charge if you are using salt for removing hard pack, ice, whatever, as long as it's within the terms of your contract.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, you charge for salt.
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

You'd go broke if you bought a few tons of salt and spread it on a lot then didn't charge for it. As said already, you charge even if you're using it to get hard pack up or icy frozen slush to melt. I'd probably charge more if using it to break up the thick hard pack/ice. After all, you'll be putting it down heavy in those areas and using more then you would normally.

I salt two private roads that equal about a mile total. I use 12 bags of salt and charge $156 for each time I drop it. I've had to salt the road at 8pm and go back up at 5:30am the next morning and salt again! Hell yeah I'm billing twice, I spread the salt twice. If I have to plow two times, I bill them for two times.
  5. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Just for the record I have always been charging for it, just curious.
  6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Charge for what you do.
  7. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

X2!! If it cost you, charge them! payup