1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt useage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mike ward, Dec 15, 2008.

1. mike ward

mike ward Member

We are trying to systemize our processes. How much salt do you use per acre on commercial lots for light, medium and heavy applications. The guide I found was from 60# to 500# per acre. That seems pretty low to me. I am thinking it is from 500# to 2000# per acre. It really depending on whether we treating refreeze after plowing or melting an inch of snow in 24 degrees.

Thanks, Mike

2. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

700 - 1,000 per acre

3. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

We recommend no less than 1000#'s up to 3000#'s per 100,000 sf. It all depends on the storm, but that's a good guideline.

4. speedy

speedy Senior Member

For the record 1 Acre = 43,560 square feet

Roughly 210' x 210' or 70 yd x 70 yd.

5. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

I've found light applications (per the account managers request) to be around 500-850#'s, medium 850-1000#'s, and heavy over 1,000#'s....thats per acre for me, with the amount really being determined by snow amount, ice on lot, traffic pattern, etc. jmo though but it's worked for me.

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

search function strikes again, didnt have to start a new thread. Damn!

7. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I dunno how much i use. I get paid by the hour to throw it and the taxpayers foot the bill for the salt LOL. :drinkup:

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We estimate applications using the 1000lbs per acre. Generally if we apply 2k the charge is for 2 Apps, 3, etc etc, we don't split hairs on a quarter ton here or there for an ice watch, we document them of course but spot apps gennerally don't produce billings.....

9. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

That guide you found must have been from the State of Minnesota study. Ridiculous! I took the class at the SIMA symposium on salting, and the lady from Minn told us that. Everyone laughed at her! Average answer from everyone there was 400-600lbs per acre. I've always just applied it to proper coverage for the event, and when I ran my acres in comparison, I was consistently between 500-600 lbs per acre. If you put 2000lbs an acre your probably gonna reverse the effects of salt. You can put too much down.

10. JMS

JMS Member

I am going to use the .63 x acre formula for my quotes, and adjust the amount as the conditions dictate, I believe I will come out ahead most of the time.

11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I was searching for "light" "medium" "heavy" applications, normally we just charge a flat rate based on 800lbs an acre, and let the averages work out, if we put a little extra down one time, another time during the season we will have used less. I was just wondering what increments people are using when bidding it out three ways, I'm thinking 600lbs for light 800 lbs for medium and 1000lbs for heavy.