1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt usage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mysticlandscape, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

Now I know this is going to be a rather vague statement as there are many variables. About how many sq ft does a yard of stright salt cover during average snowy conditons, nothing too extreme. Looking for a response from an experienced applicator as this year I am expanding into the market.

2. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Wow!

By expanding, I am ass/u/ming you are are talking about the de-icing market? Great opportunities do exist. Remember that with de-icing, we are selling safety, not ice melters. Charge for it! They will pay it.

Variables are the controlling factor. However, as a general rule 6 - 12 pounds per 1,000 square feet will work. This is for salt only. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

16-23#/1000sq ft or 700-1000#/ acre

6-12#/1000 would be waste of time and product.

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I do my calculating at 20lbs per K. When I am on site doing the job sometimes I will use less sometimes I will use more.

If I am constantly using more then I know I bid wrong but usally 20lbs per K is alittle on the high side for normal conditions such as right after you plow.

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Salt is very often over applied

In an effort to give anyone the right answers, lets give them the facts and not our own opinions and let them decide. The only constant in de-icing is that there are very many variables that will effect the actual rate needed. There are times and conditions that will call for rates all over the board, but as a general application rate, read the product label and make your application accordingly.

Check out the below link as well as the AKZO Salt website, as well as Peters Chemical website to determine your own application rates for your company. All these sites talk about the over application of material being a big problem when fighting snow & ice events.

http://www.usroads.com/journals/p/rmj/9712/rm971202.htm

6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Good post

Terrapro, good post. The only constant is that a constant is difficult at best.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I suppose your opinion is considered fact since your the "expert"

There is a big difference between roads and parking lots.

8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

I am not an expert, just a lawn guy with 30 years experience.

I think you, me and most everyone on the site agree that there are too many variables that effect application rates. Roads, parking lots, pavers, concrete and even wood ramps all require different rates and products. It's not that anyone is wrong or right, but we should all use our own experiences to determine the actual rates we want to use. You use what you feel works best for you and your customers and I will use works best for me and my customers and everyone else should do the same.

And for anyone looking for help on application rates, let's agree to give them the source for the label information and they can make their own business decision from that specific label. There are times when we all put down heavier and lighter rates based on specific conditions of each event.

Let's just all get along. We are all making a living doing the same thing in different places!