1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt usage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by zurfsturfcare, Jul 10, 2009.

1. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

hello all,
    I have plowed some commercial properties for a few years now but have always subbed out the salting due to me not having a storage facility. Now that I have a larger place I am going to do it this year. My ? is, after plowing, on average how much salt do you put down per acre? I'm talking storm is over for the most part. I know it will increase for other factors just trying to get a base. Thanks guys

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

there are lots of variables such as temps, winds, time.... so it could as low as 300 and as much as 1000.

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

or more for some of the storms we get. Extreme cold will take alot of salt to get results that some customers demand.
    750 is an average I use. However I only bill per application.
    Most who play the low baller "per ton" game sell it at a ton per acre, then apply only what is needed to get good results. That in most states is illegal, but seems to be the industry standard for guys who apply it for $90-125 per ton. Then bill for 2 tons on 2 acres, when they may have only put down 800#s in march :nod:

4. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

750 to 850 pounds per acre, but could be as high as 1,000 with bad conditions.

$90 to 125 per ton T-man? You would be lucky to be able to buy it around here for that much the last two years. I have no idea who could be charging that low, even if they are spreading less than they are charging for.

5. T-MAN

Many of the heavy hitters here sell for "give away" pricing. Your correct about the cost per ton higher then there applied rates. They usually give the song and dance about how big they are, that they get the best pricing. Even though the county just paid 125 a ton like I did. I charge per application, which is usually right in line with there ton per acre rate. The smaller sites I do very well. Last year one of the top dogs on the snow mags list was at $95 a ton. They were spreading it at 1.5 ton per acre :gunsfiring:

6. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

I tell you what, last year if I would have heard of someone spreading salt for $95 per ton I would have had them come to my shop and salt my salt pile.

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Or better yet your properties! LOL

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Application rates will vary as previously stated-and salt becomes almost useless in very cold conditions. I was pleasantly supprised with the outcomes of treated salt last year as we were force fed it due to a supposed shortage in our area. With that being said-I have been convinced to construct a second holding area for the treated stuff for use during the cold snaps.

9. T-MAN

They bill at $95 a ton applied. But they charge for 1.5 tons per acre NO MATTER what !
    Most will sell at $125 a ton, and charge for one acre per ton NO MATTER what !
    So the 2 acre lot that I charge $225 to salt per application, they bill for 2 tons of salt applied each time they salt, when they actually only applied 1/2-1 ton per time. So that great deal at $125 a ton just cost them $25 more then I would charge. Comprende ?
    Many business owners still want per ton pricing, and when XYZ Company claims they will apply it for $125 a ton they think what a great deal, we have to use them. Then when the invoices roll in they pay more then they did before. Theres no scale tickets shown, or way to judge what they actually spread, its an educated guess at best, by the person doing the invoice's. Ask em how they can salt a 10 acre property, with an 6 ton truck ? Do they make 2 trips ? :rolleyes:
    Most of the Top Ten Companys on the list plan to lose 40% of there accounts every year.
    Thats how all the Nationals sell there work, pricing period. Nothing else but a LOW NUMBER, and in todays economy that will be bottom line for most companys.

10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Great answers

Too many variables as everyone has stated. The estimated amounts by everyone are right for any given storm based on conditions. Day or night applications, ground temperature vs. air temps., applied on top of the snow or pre-treat and the examples go on forever.

Based on the type of spreader you are using, tailgate or v-Box, use something other than or along with your salt at colder temperatures. (Magnesium, calcium, potassium, etc.) Too much liability to think salt is always the answer. I am not sure in the event of a slip and fall accident the attorney wants to hear you applied salt at 14 degrees because that's all you had.

Yes different products may cost a bit more to use, but the use-rates also decrease as well. Thus changing your overall cost per application. Just something to think about.

Watch for a SnowEx sponsored snow & ice management seminar near you.