1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt usage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ohiosnowdr, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ohiosnowdr

ohiosnowdr Junior Member
    from ohio

Is there anything that can be used in a truck to gage how much salt is spread.... when using bulk?
  2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

never heard of anything. for costing, i usually just get out and eye ball it. i mean i have an 8-ton salter, so if half is gone, then i used 4 ton on that lot, so on and so forth.
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

gauge how much you put in to start with, then add up square footage of parking lot you salted, assuming you use the same amount on each property that should give you a pretty good idea that way.
  4. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

You can find a whole bunch of sensors on Google for active measuring of weight, you can also find optical sensors for flowing materials (ie salt) that can give you readings in volume/time or weight/time measurements.

Weight sensors could be problematic, if the salt is wet or powdery it will weigh more per cubic yard tham if it was dry or more granular.
  5. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

How about timing how long it takes to spread "x" amount of salt divided "x" amount of minutes, then you will know how much you are spreading per minute.
  6. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

You need to calibratorate your spreader. By doing this you know at the different settings on your spreader how much material is being put down. What I did was using a tarp to catch the material. I turned on the spreader for 5 seconds. Then multiply by 12 and that is how much your spreader will put down in 1 minute. Do it 3 times for each setting to get a good average. I use a stop watch when spreading to know what the approx material usage is. I use central hyd so I had alot of settings to do between the hyd and the gate settings

FISHERBOY Senior Member

we just set our trap door at 2 on my speed caster v-box and that spreads about a full backhoe bucket