1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Usage - Newbie - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sday88, Dec 29, 2009.

1. sday88

sday88 Member

I just bought one of those Salt Dogg SUV spreaders for my truck and used it for the first time today. I salted about 1/4 mile (private road and driveway) and used 300 lbs of salt. Is that way too much, or about right? I really couldn't tell how much was coming out and when I got halfway done, I had used the first 150 lbs I put in. I have no clue what I'm doing. Please help!

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

What were the conditions? Were you trying to burn off ice, compaction, did you ap it after you plowed??

Did you go back afterward to see what happened, were you happy with the results??

300lbs does not seem very excessive for that distance.........

Good luck with your new toy. :drinkup:
  3. sday88

sday88 Member

I had just got done plowing and I use a "gravel guard" so it doesn't scrape real clean, but pretty good. It was mostly just freshly fallen snow that I plowed. From what I could see before it got dark, it seemed like it had melted some of it but it definitely wasn't clear yet. I'd probably say I wasn't completely happy with the results from what I saw, but it is gravel, maybe I shouldn't expect perfection. Thanks for the input.
  4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

You dont want to over apply on gravel either, then you get a real mess. But depending on how much snow / ice / hard pack was there 300 pounds sounds reasonable. 1/4 mile x 10' wide I'd say 300 's about right. I've never used a gravel guard or pipe for plowing gravel roads or drives, just plow barefoot and take the vibration.
  5. KAG

KAG Senior Member

Doesn't sound excessive
  6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

you mentioned it didn't seem to work well

What was the temperature? Salt slows do significantly as the temperature goes below 20 degrees. Rate may have been okay, but temperature was too cold. Try mixing some mag or calcium next time with your salt. About 10% by volume will work well..

Good luck.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would advise not salting gravel.
    Clean the top and spread sand for traction if you must but you will be sorry come summer using salt on gravel.
    I have a youtube clip of me digging out gravel that was salted. The top 12 inchs had to be taken off before it took care of the problem.
  8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I highly agree with this.......I would also not recommend salting gravel.

I did not realize he was speaking of gravel when I made my post.
  9. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

at the last sima meeting they were talking about using between 200 and 500 pounds per lane mile of salt. a lane mile is 63360 ft2. we put salt down MOST of the time at about 400lbs per lane mile which is 9.3lbs per 1,000ft2. At the rate that we put down you would be looking at around 150lbs. but this all depends on what type of snow/ice/hardpack you are salting. A couple days ago we had a lot of ice and used about twice our normal rate to get the results we wanted.
  10. Kubota 8540

I have been salting gravel driveways and roads for 20 years, the simple solution is not to over apply. Even at 300 pounds that is not excessive for gravel given average snow or ice coverage.
  11. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

i use about 150 -200 on a 1/4 mile super steep drive but it is not gravel.
    maybe 300 if there is alot of ice
  12. Kubota 8540

I have never used a gravel guard, shoes or anything else on gravel. There are reasons to use those as not to plow off the loose rocks or not to crush or grind the limestone to powder ( if the gravel is limestone). But the cleaner you can plow it, the less salt you will have to use. The less salt you have to use the better, better on the gravel and better on your wallet. Repeated salting or over application of salt and you will create problems. You can expect near perfection from salting on gravel the same as salting on asphalt or concrete. You just need to be more exact in the # of pounds you use. On gravel better to use less, wait then re-apply if necessary.