1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt turning grass yellow along walks?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HolleysSnow, Jan 29, 2013.

1. HolleysSnow

HolleysSnow Junior Member

The grass along the sidewalks is turning yellowish. I am assuming it is from the salt on the sidewalks. Has this happened to anybody? First time I have seen my salt doing this.

2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

thats not surprising, it will do it.
  3. HolleysSnow

ok, so come spring it will green back up then?
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I use Icemelt Earthwise I dont get the yellow effect
    Icemelt works faster
  5. HolleysSnow

we use a product called natures best ice melt. says its safer for vegetation right on the bag. all i care about is that the grass will green back up in the spring.
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

First you say Salt now you say Icemelt
    You must be putting more down then you should
    Yes it will come out of it just takes time
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Salt or ice melt might be the cause, or.....

Your seeing the grass in more of a dormant phase along the sidewalks due to the sidewalks freezing faster and harder than the turf away from the sidewalk.

If it is salt damage, you can apply gypsum at a recommended rate in the spring. The gypsum will help to neutralize the salinity in the soil and help the grass recover.

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

That's bound to happen when your sidewalks are verticle like that...gravity.LOL

I had a customer that switched to another contractor for their snow and ice.This is what they looked like the following spring. I had maintained them for several years prior without this happening, it is defintinely over application (run through the round about with the spreader full tilt to get the sidewalk). I prefer to slit seed or sod, along with the gypsum app otherwise you get a lot of weeds.

9. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like the liquid edging was applied just about right, no wasted time trimming that. :laughing:
  10. HolleysSnow

My crew salts it good, does not over apply as far as I have seen. With this weather this winter all we have done for the most part is salt. They are zero-tolerance for the most part so we have salted the walks very often. That could be the reason it looks like too much salt is used. We dont hit it with our truck spreader, and they dont use a push spreader anymore cause i didnt like the spread, its done by hand. We use an ice melt which is supposed to be safer to vegetation.

So if anyone has any tips or solutions to this problem I would like to hear it. If we have to do any repair work to the turf in the spring so be it, but I would much rather stop this issue as best as I can so the property remains in best shape as possible. And as far as the lawn areas along all the lots we salt with the trucks, I havent seen any problems.

This is the first year using this product, in the past we have used just rock salt or pedalow calcium chloride and havent had this problem. However cost wise this salt is a better alternative to the pedalow calcium and do not want to use rock salt on this specific property.
  11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Just an FYI, I wasn't bashing you for over applying. Sometimes it's unavoidable, where you end up shoveling off salt that was applied before the snow. Slit seeding in the spring is the cheapest most effective remedy.
  12. HolleysSnow

No your fine. Just wanted to explain the situation better so I can find a solution. Just want to make sure we do everything to keep these properties clear and not damaging the lawn.
  13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Need to watch it,Sometimes it don't come back or if it does it's all crabgrass then.
  14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

15. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

also fyi just because it says its safe for pets and vegetation excess quantities will still cause damage similar to salt. I agree with everything said above, re-seed in spring. Maybe look at other method like power brooms for zero-tolerance sites to reduce salt quantities, or even liquid.
  16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Could the property owner/manager be adding more de-icer/salt after you have left?
    I had a situation yesterday that could support this question. I serviced a property in the morning and it was lightly snowing when I left when I swung by a couple hours later to check on it I notice someone had added more de-icer. When I say add I mean it was heavy with small piles in places 5-6" in diameter and 3/8-1/2" tall. I went in and talked to the facility's manger and showed him what was going on. One of his his helpers took it upon himself to add a little more but exceeded the little mark many times over. I was told they would take care of the mess and not to worry. I stopped by today just to see if the excess de icer had been picked up and it was just swept off the walks onto the grass and bushes. So I talked to the facility's manager again and this time I took the liberty of showing him your picture and
    I was assured the knucklehead helper would be cleaning it up with a shop vac. So I stopped by again a few hours later and sure enough there was a guy with a shop vac sucking up the de icer that was swept into the grass and bushes.