1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt truck

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by peteo1, Jan 2, 2013.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure there's a thread on this somewhere but a search wasn't too helpful. We've been debating buying an older 1 ton to use as a salt truck. As of right now we have a Fisher polycaster in a 3/4 ton truck. Well I was thinking maybe an older one ton, perhaps something like those old Chevy 3500 hd's. Those trucks seem to take the weight pretty well plus I could use it to pull the skid steer around in the summer. Only drawback is those things are 2wd. Thoughts/advice anyone?
  2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

You can find them in 4 wd. Either that or get a F350 Ford. Same thing, only better then chevy if you ask me.
  3. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

They never made an obs body style 3500hd in 4x4. Monroe offered a conversion but it was $$$ and very few did it. I know a number of guys that have had them over the years and loaded with salt they'll do just fine.
  4. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

we use a 99 k3500 with 2 wheel dually. loaded with salt and a 9 foot straight blade up front. kind of sucks to plow with on any inclines. also have a 2003 dually duramax with a dump bed thats a 4x4 we just took the service body off and installed a dump on. mostly always in 2wd
  5. peteo1

Thanks for the quick responses. Anyone else care to chime in? All comments appreciated
  6. Have a 98 with an under tailgate spreader. It works fine with a load of salt, and it will Cary alot good trucks for cheap. Stay out of loading docks though
  7. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Peteo, I used to have a 4x4 1 ton when I started my paver business. I noticed that the truck was so heavy that I never used the 4 wheel drive. I bought a 01 Chevy 3500 dump new in 2WD and never had a problem plowing! I run a Salt Dogg 2 yarder in the back....plenty of traction! I still have the truck only has 66k on it and plows like a BEAST! The moral of this story is.....YOU DO NOT NEED 4 WHEEL DRIVE ON A 1 TON OR LARGER! The 4x4 is extra weight and just more things to go wrong! The truck still pulls a 16 foot enclosed trailer and occasionally some of my Bobcats!
  8. peteo1

That's sort of what I was thinking. We have a large frame track skid that we use year round and a one ton would match it nicely. I don't do a lot of trucking when it cones to our dirt jobs. If there more than two or three loads I just call for a truck.

The only issue I'm having is it would be nice to have a backup plow truck but my current is pretty reliable. So I'm still kind of going back and forth on the 4x4 part. I guess if I could find one at the right price is take the 4x4 but they always seem to be beat to hell and back.
  9. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I have a 97 3500HD dump truck. It has the 454 and is a automatic. I have a blizzard 810 on it. The truck is a beast to plow with and will push anything. It does lack some traction but if you fill it up with salt or snow it helps a lot. I don't use it to plow anymore because I was having to replace the transmission every other year or so. They are good trucks other than that. I think the lack of traction is what causes the transmission problems. If you were just salting with it I can't see you having much problems at all.
  10. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

We also have a 97 3500HD, but with a 6.5 diesel. It's only a 2wd salt truck, so it has never pushed anything. Never gotten it stuck before.
  11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Go with a 450 or 550. A 350 is a waste of money, the increased GVW isn't enough to make it worthwhile once you load it up with a spreader and salt.
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think the 3500HD he is thinking of is the 15,000 GVW with 19.5" wheels. We had one for almost 10 years and it plows great with salt on.