1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt truck v-box installation

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Snowbryan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Snowbryan

Snowbryan Junior Member
    from Iowa

Anyone ever installed poly v-box straight to frame rails with no bed?
    I have a 06 dodge 2500 that my latest Craigslist driver backed into a parked flatbed semi trailer at about 10mph. And instead of replacing the box with a flatbed and sander I was thinking of just bolting a blizzard / western poly spreader to the frame. Any thoughts?
  2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

youl'll need a platform there Bryan . you can get a used bed from the same place you got the driver . check your local truck /utility outfitter shop for one also . they have them leftover from folks getting utility bodies . try ebay also ,
    good luck
  3. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

You can do it if you make crossmembers, a few pieces of 4" channel will work well. Don't forget to install fenders, move the lights to the frame, and add conspicuity tape as needed.

I would do 12-16" OC on the crossmembers. Some people would use 4x4 or 4x6 treated timbers, either will work as long as you secure the spreader to it.
  4. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Joe you need to renew your web site.

But I would do the same as Joe. Figure out where the box is going to sit and support those areas. Add D rings and wire it all up. If you need help with a wiring harness. I have a really good company that specializes in that. Mostly works with upfitters in the area.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  5. hatefulmechanic

Yeah I just realized that, thanks.
  6. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

then fred sanford would have you beat in a few catagories there :laughing:
  7. hatefulmechanic

I have people around here that have cut the body off an old school bus, and use it to haul round bales of hay.

And the police don't do anything about it, cause its "farm use".

I just shake my head and go on.