1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt truck storage question??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowcrazy, Dec 4, 2013.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

okay so heres the situation. Im trying to go for bulk salt instead of bagged for money saving reasons. Skids costing me right at 220 per pallet and I can get a ton of bulk for 85 bucks. Nothing like burning $135 before you even start the night.

Here is my situation. I don't want a vbox because I don't have anywhere to get rid of it if a storm passes us and I don't get to spread it. Cant imagine the auger etc would like it if you left salt in vbox for very long. I don't have a way to load salt at home and dam sure don't want a salt house here on my property so I will be going to get bulk salt WHEN the storm is coming.

Now for my real question. If I build a box out of 3/4 plywood with framing and on skid to take in and out of truck and keep it covered at all times will the salt ever freeze up in the box??? I just plan to shovel into my snowex 1075 with vibrator kit on it??? I actually figure using a 5 gallon bucket to take from box to spreader would work also. Either way I know its not as nice as a vbox but I simply have not got a situation where I can have one and use it without having a place to spin it out and reload it for the next storm. Any ideas and information would be great.

PS, I have to drive about 40 minutes to get salt........ Or I would just take it and spin it back out in the bulk pile which they have given me permission to do but I hate to drive back. Would be better if I could just keep it in a container in the back of the truck at all times........
  2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You could empty it into 5 gallon buckets just take spinner off.
  3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

honestly, it sounds like youre going to waste more time fuel and money than the 135 difference in pricing. i'd stick with bags. how many 40 mile trips will it take to use up 135 dollars in time and fuel. or all that shoveling and emptying out.
  4. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I know what ur saying but I'll have about 30 bucks in going to get the salt...... As for shoveling.... To save 100 bucks I dont mind.... ESP since I won't be the one doing the shoveling!! Lol....
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say the best option for you is to stick with bags.
  6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I kept bulk in a pile last year and shoveled it into my tail gate spreaders. Worked pretty good but sometimes it clogs up a little more than bagged because it doesnt stay as dry and you tend to get pebbles and pieces of asphault when they scoop it with the loader. What spreader are you running?
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I did this for awhile, no matter where you put it 1 ton of salt freezes up in low temperatures especially if it's been riding around a route getting wet, or simply absorbing moisture from the air. Sealable 5 gallon pails is a great way to handle salt into a tailgate spreader. Faster than shoveling and if you have any leftover at the end of the route easy to stack in the garage.
  8. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

This was the answer I was looking for. ill stick with the bags I guess. I was going to make a box out of 3/4 plywood and have a hinged top. There was going to be no way for it to rain inside the box but if it will "draw" moisture and harden then the hell with it. Sucks..........
  9. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

thats why i run bags still my man. just gotta do what works for you.
  10. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I wouldn't recommend plywood, It will get wet and wick the moisture through the wood right into your salt and cause major clumping problems (been there tried that) I would say your best bet is big plastic totes or 5 gal pales, kept air tight.

Last year I made the switch to bulk, I kept it at the shop in my 2 ton dump trailer covered with a tarp. I had minimal issues with the salt freezing, some right along the sides froze from the condensation, but nothing major. I just pulled up next to the trailer and shoveled into my tailgate spreader, worked fine for me and saved $$$.

This year to save the wear and tear on the trailer i bought a cheap plastic carport for $250.00, put a floor in it and can now keep 8 ton on hand at a time. Now I just back in to the pile and load my spreader with a shovel, I also keep 8 5 gal pales in the back of the truck to refill the spreader as needed and for extra ballast.
  11. camp61

camp61 Member

A plywood bow w/cover is not a bad way to go. Only fill to what you will use in a trip out. If you don't use it all then, you can shovel into buckets at the end of your day. My boss had such boxes in all of his trucks. I didn't have to go back to his shop after every run as I was based out of my house. I always had salt in the truck. Just covered with a tarp when parked. Having said that, I did carry a pickaxe with me for occasional clumping. Not that big of deal to break up with the right tool.
  12. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like stick to bags or get 100 5 gal buckets with lids..
    2 ton salt, 50 lbs per bucket

We rent a 40' storage container for salt.. hold around 50 tons
  13. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I'm using bulk into my tailgate spreader this year for the first time. I'm keeping it in plastic totes(see thread from a couple days ago) and only loading them into the truck when needed. I am keeping it the barn which is only heated if we are working in there . I've had salt in it for 3 weeks now with no issues. I emptied half of it on a salt run a week ago and shoveling salt is a lot easier than throwing 80lb. Bags ! I'd say give the bulk a try if you have a way to unload it when not in use. I know that there is a chance the bulk could freeze but that can happen in a v box. I plan to keep a bucket of washer fluid with me (I get it free from an oil change we plow) just in case it it gets hard. I keep a pallet of bagged on hand already so if my bulk deal doesn't work that's a back up. I see a lot of guys running bulk shoveled into spreaders so It can't be all that bad. On a side note I get my totes filled in my dumping trailer so I don't make a mess of the truck bed and I shoveled the spill off into a couple of buckets. Long story short on my first salt run this season the dry bucket with a new screw top lid (used for side walks) froze while in my truck but the tote was just fine, go figure. It was easy to break it up with a shovel but enough to keep me from filling a bunch of buckets . That was one of the options I considered. I've been reading here and thinking about trying bulk for a couple years now.
  14. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

I buy 4 tons of bulk or clearlane at a time and put it in sand bags. works good i store them in dry unheated building till i need them for the tailgate spreader i have a western pro flow 2 tailgate spreader and the blue snoway push spreaders spread bulk great. I usually use about 500 lbs an event and have left the salt in the bags over the summer in the dry building without them getting hard. A little more work but i do it when there is nothing else to do in the winter and bulk cost about 75% less then bagged takes about an hour per ton to bag and i reuse the sand bags a few times also.