1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt truck spring assist options

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Superior L & L, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Looking to reduce rear end sag on our 2006-2008 salt trucks. All are chevy 2500's. Looking for thoughts on adding a spring or installing air bags.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

If its fleet trucks, I would add a leaf.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  3. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I have heard good things about air bags, I chose to put F550 suspension in my f350. It sits high and rides like a lumber wagon empty. It performs nice with a little weight and have yet to see it sag. Little weak with the 5.4 loaded.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We added leafs in every truck, although we did it as the springs needed replaced. If I were putting a Vbox in a brand new truck, I wouldn't hesitate to add the spring - it's a work truck, the ride quality is hardly different especially when it's hauling a trailer.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check into replacing the spring packs?

I've found it to be better than adding a leaf and very reasonable.

If you still need more, air bags are the way to go.

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

adding a leaf will do little for the sag but does help. Mine are swr 3500 with the added leaf and airbags and I prefer the air bags for the adjustment.

7. Superior L & L

from MI

Not to concerned about ride quality . Cost and function is all

8. Superior L & L

from MI

I guess I need to check the spring shop on cost. Air bags are about $300 plus install

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'd put Timbrens in the rear. Simple and cheap.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

On a truck that old, I would start with new spring packs, seems like it was a couple hundred bucks more than adding a leaf to old worn out springs.

I want to say I did a 550 for around $1200 a few years back. Fronts and rears.

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

If I had to do it again I would get the air bags. $ 300.00 seems reasonable. What could they want for labor? $150.00.

Never had a air bag. They worked good on a f150 with trailer. Truck did not look save without them. Compare the extra suspension cost to the air bag.

12. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

All our fertilizing trucks get 3 extra leafs. Sending a brand new salt truck in monday for 2 leafs also. Last thing you want is motor vehicle officer hassling your guys because the truck is an easy target and just looks overweight. Price for us with labor is typically right around $300 with labor.

13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

This would make the extra suspension more reasonable than the air bags.

14. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

300 with labor for 3 springs?

15. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Yes, 3 additional on each side.

16. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Where you at in ohio?

17. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I HATE to admit this......But I agree with you......:drinkup:......:popcorn:

18. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty Mulch sums you up.......:salute:

Not everyone has Monarcy Money........:whistling:

19. lawns4life

lawns4life Member
    from mi

I had John R Spring in Troy add 2 leaf springs on each side the rear end of my 09 F250. They charged about $350. Well worth it, the truck sags significantly less with a load than before. I chose that over air bags because once its done you can forget about it and not worry about anything.

20. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

A set off over load springs would work good, they only come in contact after you put weight on it but I am not sure if you can add them if they didnt have OEM. I would check with Beatie in Flint or John R in Troy.