1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt truck for rent

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kingmtrsprts, Jan 1, 2012.

1. kingmtrsprts

kingmtrsprts Junior Member

just kicking around the idea of renting out my flat bed truck (15000 lb gvw) and v box spreader, no plow. Just curious if anybody would be interested in doing something like this and if anybody has done this and has any tips on what to charge and how to work out a deal that works for both people. Thanks for the input!!

2. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Very tricky situation...
    In theory it SHOULD work out but once again its very tricky. NO offense to the guy im basing this story off of, but im only sharing it because i think it can be very informational and helpful for others. ANYWAY, a Guy recently wanted to lease his plow truck for the winter as he wasnt going to be using it and rather have it moving instead of sitting and rotting.

He came up with a leasing price per month+ a milage fee. This price covered the truck payment, insurance and then a little profit for him of course! After no one really budged, he ended up leasing it to a guy who agreed to let it sit at his shop and only run it if one of his trucks break down in the middle of the night. So its just a Insurance factor to him.
    SO it works out for both of them. (I personally think thats the best decision he could of made!)

One factor that had me a little on edge was, DAMAGE.
    What if...What if...What if...
    In the case above, the lessee would not be held accountable if the truck's tranny blew or anything like that DUE TO THE TRUCK (failure). Now if the Lessee hit a pole and ripped the bumper off the lessee would be held accountable.

Im just not sure if i would want some RANDOM Guy driving my truck (worse case senario) Like a maniac. Then returning it to me in March/april where its now beat to death.

ooh ohh.. now as im rambling on i remember one other thing, What happens if the truck goes down in the middle of the night? Who's going to fix it?

So the questions You should ask your self are:

1. How much are you going to charge?
    Will it cover everything you need plus make you some profit?
    a. Now, Will people pay that?
    3. Who pays for Damage/Maintenance during this period?
    4. What is covered under "normal Wear and tear?"
    5. Is it worth your while to lease your truck out?

Thats not evan getting into legality! But i could be here all day and night with this! Just something to think about!

3. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

There are plenty of guys that just plow that don't have a salter. Why don't you try to just get hooked up with guys like that, that just need someone to salt for them......that's where all the money is anyway.

4. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

How many yard spreader? What part of IL? I may be able to use your services.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012