1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt ton question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by White Baron, Oct 11, 2006.

1. White Baron

White Baron Junior Member
    from detroit

Hello,
    For a 1/2 mile stretch of roadway in a subdivision, (regular size roads) how many tons would you estimate per application? Your estimated guess would be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance for your quick post.

2. PLCI

PLCI Member
    from Maine

Assuming the roadway is 24' wide by 2640' long you would be covering 63,360 square feet.
    applying salt @

300 lbs per acre you would use 436 lbs (.21 tons)
    500 lbs per acre you would use 727 lbs (.36 tons)
    700 lbs per acre you would use 1018 lbs (.51 tons)
    1000 lbs per acre you would use 1454 lbs (.727 tons)

Hope this helps

3. White Baron

White Baron Junior Member
    from detroit

Thanks Scott, it does help confirm the math.

4. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

I see your rate chart but what is the proper amount? You have a 700 lb spread wich is a lot. I know temp, sunlight and traffic(for roadways) is a big factor. If its 100% salt I think you can get away with 500lbs an acre and have little problems. I also have heard 1 ton per mile.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  5. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

TYpical application rate for course rock salt:

350 lbs.(1/4 ton)approx. per 1/2 mile asphalt road DAYTIME w/ moderate sunlite.

700 lbs. (1/2 ton)approx. per 1/2 mile asphalt road NITEtime no sunlight.

We have 1/2 & 1/4 full indicators on our salt trucks so these application rates are fairly accurate with our 3/4 ton hoppers.

6. PLCI

PLCI Member
    from Maine

We are right along the coast so we tend to get some crazy situations. The chart was created for the calebration of the salters. Each truck has the chart with these settings. If we get into a situation where there is a lot of hardpack and the snow starts to turn to freezing rain I can call the salters and tell them 500# or 700#, the units are calibrated and we know exactly how much salt is used. For estimating salt usage in our area I will thend to find the averages over the season I.E. 11 saltings @ 300#, 4 saltings @ 500#. The formula works for estimating and operations. Hope this helps.

7. Baker Plowing

Baker Plowing Junior Member

Salt Spreading

I'm considering expanding my operations here in Michigan and am trying to determine which route to go with the salt spreaders. (Tail gate model VS. P-U bed model.) I've been plowing for over 6 yrs. now and have had many requests for salt services. I currently have a total of 3 business that I am quoting for salt application. They total around 140,000 sq. ft. It sounds like I would probably need a bed salt spreader for this size. My problem is that I don't have access to loading equipment or the locations that I would get the bulk salt from are not open at 3 AM. I'm also concerned that I would not be able to cover this amount of square footage with only 1.2~2.O Cu. Yrds. of salt. Any suggestions?? I have two trucks and plows now, and I'm leaning towards two tail gate spreaders and using bagged salt. What's your thought's. I appreciate the input.

8. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Bakers plowing.....The SnowEx 1075 will hold 800# of rock salt filled to the brim. If you can deal with that then thats the way to go..otherwise look at the bed model V-boxes that SnowEx / Trynex has available for the 1/2 & 3/4 trucks .75 cy could be bag filled, kinda a pain but do-able :).

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If your using bag material stick with the Hitch mounted tailgate style spreaders. You may have to load a couple times but with out access to bulk material V boxes are a hassle. Plus you can carry more material in bags then you can in a .75 yard hopper.

10. TCLS88

TCLS88 Member
    from MIDWEST

a 1/4 ton is 500 lbs

a 1/2 ton is 1000 lbs

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And your point is?

12. Ripple

Ripple Member

Oh geesh... thats just too funny~!

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You should have no problem covering 140,000 sq. feet with a 2 cubic yard salter. If you can't find bulk salt then I would recomend a tailgate salter. A V box gas salter weights 800 lbs and a drop tailgate 200 lbs. The 2 stage Western or Fisher are 285 lbs. They cost more money but if you can get bulk salt they are the way to go.

If your 2 trucks are plowing together you could get 1 salter and put salt in both trucks. Use the material from the second truck to load the tailgate salter.

If you don't have a place to unload the V box salter and reuse the left over salt you are going to have to spread everything you buy. You can not leave it in the salter until the next time.

Bulk salt is 1/2 the price of bagged, around here anyway.

14. Baker Plowing

Salt spreading

That was my other concern, what happens if you don't use all the salt in a V-box bed spreader? Can it be covered and used next time? Does it get to hard packed and won't work?

15. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Are you storing it inside int he heat/dry or outside in the cold/weather?

16. Baker Plowing

I would be parking the truck outside, however I would be purchasing a new box mounted salt spreader and would get something with a cover. Also if I end up going with bagged salt and a tail gate spreader, how much square foot coverage on average would I get per 50 lb. bag of salt? Seems to be lots of confusion on the end of the equipment suppliers. All they can tell me is that is varies per how you adjust the flow. What's a good rule of thumb average per 50 lb. bag?
    Thanks for everyone's input- It's much appreciated!!!!

17. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

2500sq ft.

I usually work with 20lbs per 1000sq ft when I workup estimates......