1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt to sand ratio..

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vmj, Nov 12, 2014.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

was wondering what is considered a good mix.. Wanted to check with gateway today but didn't have time..... I was told that ther mix is 20% salt to sand.... Thanks

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Use straight salt now , but when I used sand/ salt mixture I would mix 6 to 1 ratio. If it was really cold I would add extra salt-"hot mix"

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Go straight salt
    Sand gets tracked into buildings
    My places state no sand
    Last year in emergency I went 60 salt 40 sand was ok bit slower to spread
    In the old days 20 years ago 50/50 was ok but material always seems wet

4. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I mix 18 yds of sand to one yard of salt..... most around here want sand not salt...

5. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

Just talked to my town road guys about this, this morning. They said for the roads around here they use a 10:1 sand:salt mix.

Parking Lots need salt but private roads and gravel roads sand give traction at a economical price

6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Agree roads want traction
    Private lots want black top showing by me

7. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I'm concerned about refreeze with straight salt... don't want to always go and resalt next day after a storm, since there is no sand for traction..