1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Timing??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MnM, Feb 13, 2007.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

my question is this. If it snows 4 inches then ices then snows again, when would be the most effective time to drop salt. I was thinking after the first snow and before the ice so the ice and later snow dosent stand a chance. Just asking casue my salt pile is getting low and I didnt want to be wasting product at this point. Thanks for your help

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

It would be nice to keep that second snow from sticking to the ice but if your running low on salt and cannot get more I would probably wait. If it was going to be 30 and sunny after the second snow you probably wouldn't need the salt. You could use it earlier to fight the ice and keep snow from sticking. I guess there is no easy answer it is would be a case by case decision for me.