1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt that doesn'

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by scoot98758, Dec 9, 2008.

1. scoot98758

scoot98758 Junior Member

I received this in an e-mail from a customer: "My home is brand new and the contractor states the concrete driveway should not be subject to corrosives such as salt. Do you offer alternatives?" Does anyone know of any de-icing materials that won't cause damage to new concrete or do you recommend putting down sand until the concrete has been there a year? Also do I have to plow any differently on new concrete vs asphalt?
    Thanks you for your great advice in advance
  2. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Just plow like you normaly do.
  3. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Not sure why they have a concrete drive in a snow area. You can be assured that any ice melting product will be somewhat corrosive to any porous surface. It's corrosiveness is related to it melting point. If you keep this guy use a traction aid like sand, but dont use anything else cause you are going to be blamed when the driveway fails.
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

st louis is not a snow area.
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would not use anything on a driveway located in Missouri
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

what should we use to make driveway?

AMY TOWN & COUN Junior Member
    from CHICAGO

Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, and Calcium Chloride are all used for newly cemented areas, for areas with plants around them and as an alternative to traditional salt. These products are more expensive and they work in lower temperatures--down to -25.