1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Supply

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lm116, Jan 15, 2003.

1. lm116

lm116 Junior Member

I have begun to hear rumurs that the supply of salt here in the Northeast is running low. Has anyone else heard this?

2. Brian Akehurst

Brian Akehurst Junior Member

I have been hearing the same thing, I have heard mainly bagged salt was getting tight in Baltimore. This is... so far as I am concerned a rumur. I have not researched to see how true it is. I know for fact that there is NO shortage on MAGIC SALT in bags.

Brian

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I was talking to the foreman at our Town Garage last week and he said their regular supplier is out. He spent a whole morning making phone calls, reserving loads to replenish their pile.

4. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Where we buy they were out the begining of the week, 375,000 tons gone. They just got a barge from NYC, another 100,000 tons. From what I've heard, there isn't much of a shortage, the demand is just higher then expected. An electrician who wires houses we frame... his father owns the barges that ship scrap to NYC and return full of salt, he said the biggest problem is just keeping up, the supply is there just transporting it takes time. There's a few other suppliers around here who still have mountains of salt on hand.
    Casey

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Up here in Maine, our supplier is rationing salt. International will only deliver 40 tons a day to us do the ration.

Geoff

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I just reloaded som salt today,the prices are getting so high now.Just this week salt went up 13 bucks a yd here,it was already to $$,how do you even pass on cost increases like this?My usual supplier is out,will have it in 2weeks,I cant afford to gamble,if we get a storm.

7. OriginalSnowman

OriginalSnowman Junior Member

It's the worst I've seen in many years.

What comes in is committed before it arrives. Everyone is out of the premium deicers and salt is no better.

Order what you need for the rest of the winter now, or plan on sliding a lot.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I think the biggest problem with us private contractors is we come second to the municipalitys,they get first rights to everything,due to the shear volume they buy,I understand this,but its annoying when there is a boatload of salt,and you cant have any.This drives prices even higher.

9. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

we are doing fine..guess i am lucky i am close to a mine

no end in sight right now

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

I just brought in a 140 tons,but haven't seen the invoice yet,no word here of any price increase,but some small supply problems with the bulk stuff.

11. Jay Kosack

Jay Kosack Junior Member

Monsterplow:

Who is running the Rochez yard in Philly. Thought Jody Rochez filed bankrupcty on his salt company?

12. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We arefine on price because we locked in a set rate at the beginning of the season, but last week I picked up 50 tons of salt and the two trucks that I hired had to wait in line for 2 1/2 hours, just to get loaded and on the scales that kinda sucked, but oh well at least I am not seeing any rationing or anything like that. Just my two cents

13. PAPS Landscape

PAPS Landscape Member

Low supplies here til end of month....

Port Newark only has about 200,000 tons according to a few truckers at my yard and the barge is not coming til the end of the month!!!

14. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

Jay Kosak thats IMUS salt in the Roche yard i can get you pricing if you like as we have it available to us
    John Parker
    Taconic Maintenance

15. Taconic

helping out our city

The city of Poughkeepsie N.Y. ran out of salt 2 weeks ago and we have been supplying them with salt and loading there trucks with our salt. Never thought id see city highway trucks wanting to load at our location.
    John Parker
    Taconic Maintenance Inc
    845-485-4200

16. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hey John,

You selling them Magic Salt???????????????????????

17. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

"Port Newark only has about 200,000 tons according to a few truckers at my yard and the barge is not coming til the end of the month!!!"

Heard the same thing. Barges are in the water & on the way, but they can only go so fast, so we have to hope they get here before its all gone. Suppliers are scrambling to get alternate supplies until the port is replenished. Considering the last 5 events here were "Martha Stewart" snows that weren't quite enough to justify plowing (in less than 2 weeks), we & the gov. salters have been using a whole lot more than normal to melt snows, instead of plowing & treating for slippery conditions like normal. While I've been out doing my work I've been watching the city, state & county trucks doing their thing, and it was quite obvious they were told to melt the snow, and they sure were laying down heavier than normal apps. Only so much salt available at any given time, so having weather like this will surely have an effect on suppiles sooner than later. WX seems to be giving this area a break so hopefully supplies will catch up to demand before we really need it again.

18. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

International in port newark was supposed to be getting a barge in yesterday and was supposed to unload it over the weekend. Our supplier has acess to salt and he said that the port is "running low" and is only filled to about 1/2 capacity but the concern seems to be that with no incoming salt on a daily basis the towns get first priority over the private sector. We are down to about 45 tons again and we have about another 80 ton coming on tuesday. worst case I guess we'll have to use peladow instead!

19. Taconic

Hi Jeff
    No we only helped the city of Pougkeepsie out with straight salt as they buy Caliber from us and are using Caliber for straight liquid applications and there for dont treat there salt.The city went through 10,000 gallons in one week.Tell Joe that im sorry his tri-axles had to wait so long to get loaded as we had quite a demand on salt and treated salt. We had 42 sanders line up here to get loaded the other day man that was a sight
    John Parker
    Taconic Maintenance Inc
    845-485-4200

20. lm116

lm116 Junior Member

We were told that International Salt had run out of salt on the dock in New Haven, CT. Do not know about anywhere else, but the other suppliers still seem to be O.K.