1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Monroe74, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Monroe74

Monroe74 Junior Member

I live in a development i have .5 acres of land and on it I have my house and a pole building to store my landscaping equipment ( no more room with out making neighbor's mad). My problem is I'm thinking about using bulk salt. How do you guys store your salt? what special precautions do I need to take with bulk? does it still flow after it get wet in a v-box during storm? or do i need other things to help keep it dry? Can you buy bulk one truck load at a time at a supplier or do you need to order it a ahead of time. This season alone I've used 6 skids of salt 50lbs bags 49 on a skid i'm tired of opening bags please help.
  2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

i've gone through 15-20 skids this year.. so i'm changing next year too, but around here the salt suppliers stay open if they see a Storm.. they also gave me their home #.. i 'l be getting it one truck at a time...
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you're going to use bulk salt, you will need to plan for a completely seperate place to store it. Untreated salt will destroy anything in or around it - metal, wood and concrete. Prevent any runoff. Look into your state statutes and local ordinances regarding salt storage. There will usually be limits on where and how much you can have on hand at any one time. Here, we have to be concerned with well contamination and runoff to streams and lakes. Salt contains a high amount of moisture so it will clump (freeze). If you keep it in your Vbox, prepare to chip it out. Keep it dry? Buy it bagged - bulk is not dry. Salt naturally absorbs moisture from the air - and anything else. That's why your hands crack when you handle salt - it's pulling the moisture out of your skin.
  4. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

We use concrete 2x4x6 blocks and made a bin, and then put a coverall dome cover on it. We use to use a heavy tarp, but it sucks to fold back evertime you need to get into it and then fold it back. You also need a loader of some kind to load. I wouldn't recomend you bring bulk salt into a resi area. As he said in Maine, states and cities have regs on storage of salt and runoff. Although, you can throw down as much salt as you want on a parking lot and let it run off into the sewers. Go figure.:dizzy:
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We load bulk into "supersacks" then we can stack the sacks for storage. Try saying that 5times fast when you've :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: the moisture is contained, and they can be forklifted into a truck. we use a 3/4 yard bucket @ bag. weighs about a1500lbs. you can fit more in a bag each bag can hold about a yard, but we've found 3/4s about the right weight to carry in a pick-up.
  6. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Heres how we store our bulk salt. It costs about $1000 to set up bin as seen in pic. As for the V box issue. I bought a fit cover for mine that will fit a 4'x8' spreader opening. It keeps your load dry no matter what the weather conditions. So you won't have the clumping issue. They make different sizes and cost around $100.

7. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Even with a cover on the salt, it will stay dry from the elements, but when the humidity in the air goes up, the salt starts soaking it up. Then if you have a v-box spreader, you have to clear all the salt out of it otherwise it hardens like a rock and you will be chipping it to get the spreader to work. Also when the temps get cold like 10 or under, you have to use it quick or it freezes to the sides if the spreader.
  8. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

Like CRB said, is there a supplier nearby? I think I would pay a little more and let someone else store it for that amount of salt. Around here the suppliers are paying somewhere around $40 a yard (2,500 lbs. +/-) and we're paying around $60 a yard. This might help you do a cost analysis first to see if it's feasible to put in your own bin, vs. buying it bulk as needed.
  9. Monroe74

Monroe74 Junior Member

As of right now I haven't found a supplier that will stay open 24 hours when a storm is coming most of the guys around here store their own salt. how/who did you contact to get a supplier like that?
  10. Monroe74

Monroe74 Junior Member

what is a supersack? do you have pics?
  11. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

hey Monroe, where in Pa are you located?
  12. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

You guys are lucky - here in Avon, CT. I load up as needed and pay $85/100 per ton:dizzy: But I have no choice - no where to store it.
  13. cowboysfan

cowboysfan Junior Member

How do u have it secured down?
  14. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

I have a buddy who uses sea containers, can drive a bobcat right inside......works well.
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We tried that one time. it was a pain to load the container and the ramp in and out was a constant problem. Worked well for keeping the material contained and dry. Am considering another attempt. do you have pics of what he did for an entrance ramp?
  16. Monroe74

Monroe74 Junior Member

I live in York conty, PA
  17. emeraldgreen

emeraldgreen Member

How much salt can you store in your set-up? I have just been awarded a Wal-Mart bid for next season, and will be going to bulk.
  18. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Mines 20' long and I can hold about 30-35 tons. My friend has the same thing only 24' long and can hold over 40. I tied it down to the blocks with really big zip ties and 6 rachets. You can see one orange one in the pic above.
  19. Dakotakid

Dakotakid Junior Member

Nice storage

What are the dimensions of your storage , number of blocks wide and deep, where did you get the arch cover.
  20. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

for our box spreader we just cut out of our pond liner a cover, works just fine prob around $50???