1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Rc2505, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok fellas I have a question. For leftover salt, how do you store it through the extra 9 months a year without it clumping up, or just plain disolving? I have an oppertunity to buy 35 tons that is leftover from a guy that is out of business, and don't think I will use up anywhere near that much more than I already have. So my delima is I don't want to waste the money if it is going to be ruined sitting over the summer.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

In my limited expierience with salt, I've been plowing forever but this is my first year working with salt. I'd say cover it as well as possible, prevent run-off getting to the pile and store it on pavement. You will probably get a crust over the top couple/few inches but once broken through it should be OK. We store ours like this, it is however treated with Magic, I don't know what if anything that changes.

3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we keep about 150 tons in our covered bin year round .In the summer we put tarps over it and then in december it usally gets a thin crust that we break up with one of our loaders , although last season because it was so dry , the salt stayed crust free.

4. FIREDUDE26

FIREDUDE26 Member

can you spray something in your salt pile to keep it from getting crusted? i buy bulk and it seems with in a hour the stuff is crusted and hard to spread. will magic help?

5. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Cover it well and treat it if possible. Mix it w/a loader at the begining of the next season and you should be fine.