1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt storage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BigDawg, Feb 13, 2004.

1. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

Will bags of salt go bad if they sit outside over the summer or do you have to cover them or what? Whats the deal.:confused:

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I haven't stored any quantity of salt, so the pros here can tell you best how to do it. But salt is a desicant, and will draw moisture out of anything, including the air. I'm sure you've noticed how hard it is to keep boots waterproofed when you're walking around in the salt.
    I'd say a roof, a tarp and elevated off the ground would be in order.

3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Streetsurfin, do you or did you work for the telephone company? I've never heard anyone use the word desicant other than cable people.

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

No, but my wife does. I'm just familiar with the term from the "DO NOT EAT" paks that come in electronics, silica gel. I use larger paks of it for gun storage. If I remember from previous posts, you are an installer? My wife did that for a short while, she is now in cust. tech support.

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The Mortons that we get do OK outside. We keep it on the skids double tarped and make sure no water can puddle on top....Chuck

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

At one point I was an installer, repairman, then for 19 years I was an Inst foreman, repair foreman, cable repair foreman or Manager. We used desicant to dry out wet cables (pulp), and terminals. It's just a word that you don't normally hear from a non tel person.