1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Storage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by somervillesnow, Sep 30, 2012.

1. somervillesnow

somervillesnow Junior Member

Starting up my first commercial client. Previous I've done residential which with just a sidewalk and small driveway have required less than one 5 gallon worth of salt per snow. I've been able to store all the salt I need on my property and in the bed of my truck. Plus I was buying from Home Depot, which is near to me so easy to resupply.

Now as I get more professional I'm going to buy Magic Salt from a dealer (who is farther away making frequent resupply trips harder) and I have a commercial property with a large parking lot and lots of sidewalks so I might be maxed out on my storage.

What do you do? Store on client property? Rent storage? Store on your own property? Resupply often?

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

How much salt will you need to put down each app?

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh yea bulk or baged?

4. somervillesnow

I actually don't know yet how much I have to measure the square footage of the property and divide it by residential properties I've done to see how much it will be. I presume I'll do bagged but I don't have enough experience to know. I'm operating with just a pickup at this point in my commercial snow career.

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

When we started salting we used a tailgate unit, and would buy by the pallet (1at a time) from Lesco & store in my garage, we went through about 30 (50lb) bags per trip, I kept I believe about 2-3 runs worth on hand. Then we switched to bulk & I stored at a friends place, used his skidsteer to load, paid $10 or 15 extra per ton to store & load. We now store 1 semi load at a time at our shop in my bin with my bobcat, or supplier gas a depot about 45 minutes from my shop where I can load as well with I believe 8,000 ton on hand.

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Alot depends on how much you have to spread. I've tarped a pile before. I've even filled two old large broken chest freezers with Clearlane before and shoveled out what I needed

If your just loading a tailgate spreader and you want the savings of bulk you can use five gallon pails and a pile almost anywhere

You kinda need to know how much to spread to know how much to charge. Not sure how you get the job without the pricing part

7. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

Charge by the pound. Much easier! If you put down 10 bags charge them for 500 pounds.
    If you get ice and you put down 500 pounds great but if you get an ice storm charging by the pound is much safer. I'd try to get at least .30 -.35 cents a pound and hope for ice all winter.

I'm sure you are paying way to much buying from Home Depot. Salt from a wholesaler bagged, will be around $4 right now. Salt from a salt supplier by the pallet was around $5 last year.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I hate renting space when I own a shop....but for right now its a necessary evil.

One thing I found when I got my rental unit(mini storage)...I asked if I got a deal when paying 6months up front, they said yes...you get X amount off per month...I said sweet...then i asked what about 12 months up front, they said yes...you get X amount off per month....i said sweet. So then I thought I would ask about paying 18months up front. When I asked this, the lady was taken back a little, and said she would have to call corporate because no one had ever asked that. Long story short I got a smoking deal for doing so.....I'm getting 40% + off per month over the normal monthly rate.

9. somervillesnow

How large are those bags that were $5 last year? Is the pricing from this supplier way more than I should be paying?: http://www.northeastnursery.com/files/icemeltpricing.pdf

10. Kwing1120

Kwing1120 Member

I would look around. Northeast is always pretty expensive for everything

11. somervillesnow

Any suggestions on how to look? At this point I'm still trying to identify appropriate places to buy ice melt from, NENursery I found because they were on the Magic Salt website as a dealer. The rest of the listings in my states under dealer page seem to be other contractors. Any other ways to search?

12. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I have a 16' enclosed trailer that I use as a toy hauler in the summer. It's gonna be my bagged salt storage in the winter. Just a thought.

13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If you have space available you could always put it in a con-ex box. Then you can lock it to try and keep people out of it but I've never heard of anyone stealing salt.

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

The prices he posted didnt seem all that bad...if your only buying 4 or less pallets at a time???

When you start buying a semi load(18pallets) at a time is when you start getting into the good deals.

How many pallets can you fit in that?

15. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

This will be my first year using the trailer. I should be able to fit 4 pallets in if they are 4' but I probably wont store more than 2. I don't think I want to put 8000 lbs on that trailer.

16. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

For almost the same space your 20 ft trailer takes you can purchase or rent a 20 ft container. Skids stacked you should be able to fit 20 skids in it. That will also get you a good price - if you use that much. Off season store extra salt or other equipment in it, and it keeps your trailer available for use.

17. RichieRich31

RichieRich31 Junior Member

salt/sand mix on long island

Does anyone know where in suffolk county long island, i can get salt/sand mix at a good price?

18. MConst

MConst Junior Member

John Deere Landscapes is the best place to buy bagged salt and most sidewalk deicers. Bought from there for three years before going to bulk salt and buying half a trailer load of sidewalk product at a time. I used to buy two skids of rock salt at a time for better pricing (I think it was $4.17 per bag when you bought two skids) two seasons ago.

Not only was it the best price, but the quality was great. It was produced by American Rock Salt and shot great out a tailgate salter. Definitely get check price here ... great people and product.