1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt storage question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bporter, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

I found a Place to store a pile of bulk salt the problem is that the surface is gravel thats all i have to work with. Now what i'm asking what should I do from here should get blocks or just put the pile down and tarp it I would like to spend no more than 200. I plan on storeing 50ton of salt Thanks
    Brian :confused:

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

No matter what you'll spend more than $ 200. My bin of 6x6 posts & 2x6 walls, tarped top was around $ 1000. I was going to use a coverall, but with the wind out here it would just be a waste.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i know used blocks go for around 35 dollars in my area, but thats the full sized ones, and generally they are too big to move with a skid steer - i think you might need about 33 blocks total

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a pool tarp or a round bale tarp and tarp it and use skids to hold the tarp down. That's what my dad started doing in 1970 and it was on gravel. We actually didn't get a Coverall untill about 5 years ago. We tried using blocks and a tarp and it was worse then no blocks. This is from personal expeirence not hear say.

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Isnt that horrible? getting the tarp off in the middle of a blizzard to get more salt is the absolute worst part of my night. :mad:

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it is, I somehow always got the job of taking the tarp off. It was better when we got bigger because we would just make 3 or 4 35 ton piles and we pretty much used the whole pile every storm so there was no need to cover it back up but then you had to look forward to covering a new load and everytime a new load came the wind seemed to pick up.:drinkup:

7. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I saw this one bulk storage pile and the guy had put pipe in the ground the length of the bin. When loading salt the bucket would ride on the pipe and stay out of the gravel. There where sides on the bin , don't know if this would work on a pile

8. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

My question is (and I don't mean to be rude but) you are in need, well can purchase 50 ton bulk but will only spend $200 max to store it? Something doesn't add up. If you can afford to store it correctly (and by this i mean lay an asphalt pad, but up a few blocks, and a waterproof tarp) then stay small and way from bulk. If you half a** the storage you will lose and waste more product than anything.

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have used salt on gravel , just plan on lossign a few tons in the gravel, and few more that will wash away

10. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

ding ding ... pointless and a waste of money when it is costing over $100 a ton now. Maybe just maybe when it was on $52.00 deliver + tax it was ok.

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

everyone has to start somewhere

ya cant salt the job if you spend all of your money on the shed and have nothing left to buy salt

12. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

I am unsure of the rules etc. where you are,

but in Wisconsin if you store more than 1 ton of "bulk" not sealed product, you need to file paperwork and get approval from the DNR and display a "permit". Perhaps where you are it does not matter, but trust me, from personal experience, it matters where I am. Just thought you may want to check prior to storing 50 tons, with our DNR the "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" rule does not apply.

Good Luck,

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

with your DNR your guilty until proven inocent

14. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

The bunny cops have all the power.

15. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

no rules in IL to store salt the big thing is this is only a temporay storage for the season its somthing that came availbe right next door to the place where I have a loader kept all season Long so thats why i don't want to spend the big dollars. Not because i can't but because i'm not lookin to spend a ton load of money when in the spring it has to be taken appart.

16. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i just orders 12 blocks myself for storage of bulk salt. planed on putting one of those car port looking setups on the top of it. why not just pour a concrete bottom for it. ??? dont have to be perfect. or even put plywood on the bottom. JMO

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He has a $200 budget and has to move it in the spring. Maybe rent a ship container.

18. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Containers work awesome, but there around $600 for the season with pickup and delivery.
    Plus you need a skid for loading and unloading. The other draw back is if the salt goes in Wet it will stay wet. So if your trying to treat it when loading or at the spinner, you may have some serious issues.